Only 7% sickness benefit claimants unable to do any sort of work

I know I'll get flamed for this, but why would/should I work for a quid 50 an hour when IMO I could do just as good a job on proper money? Yes I know it would negatively affect my benefits, but if it was up to me I'd be working for enough money to not have to be on benefits!

Also, from a personal point, there would be issues surrounding me doing call centre work, they wear headsets due to the nature of the work, I wear a hearing aid, and to date, not even the RNID have been able to sell me a headset that works with my hearing aid! And until about 6 or so years ago I had to wear an adaptor to be able to use a mobile phone!

I know that under the DDA the company would have to provide such aids to enable me to work, but there's still the fact that I refuse on principle to work for slave wages just cos I can't affect my benefits.

I wish i was lucky like you.

To be able to stand to your principles like that

And heres me, working like a mug when i could be sticking to my principles.

You're a modern day super hero:rolleyes:

So, I retrained after being ill, but I'm now not able to do that job either. Can you think of a job I could do without my dominant arm, whilst lying down (the only comfortable position) and whilst taking random unplanned sleep breaks?

Yes, I can think off a job you can do. Chief moderator on Sheffield Forum. :D

Being 'fit for work' is all a bit pointless if there aren't enough jobs to go round anyway, isn't it? You go from one subset of people without jobs to a different subset of people without jobs, that's all.

Quite, the distinctions are made to massage the unemployment figures.

Why not just give everyone who is out of work the same money?

To do different smacks of the Workhouse and the distinction between deserving and undeserving poor. It would also save a fortune in assessments and appeals if everyone got the same.

Yes, I can think off a job you can do. Chief moderator on Sheffield Forum. :D

Quite, the distinctions are made to massage the unemployment figures.

Why not just give everyone who is out of work the same money?

To do different smacks of the Workhouse and the distinction between deserving and undeserving poor. It would also save a fortune in assessments and appeals if everyone got the same.

Toooo much like common sense methinks.

Common is something that Tories find "repugnant".

Sense (and sensitivity) is unfortunately what FAR TOO MANY people are lacking these days.

. . . .. To do different smacks of the Workhouse and the distinction between deserving and undeserving poor. It would also save a fortune in assessments and appeals if everyone got the same.
Would it not be fair to say that there are deserving and undeserving poor?

Would it not be fair to say that there are deserving and undeserving poor?

We could be asking what is poor? To me, poor is when you can't afford to eat reasonably well, when you can't afford to live in a half decent home, or heat it adequately. Yet governments say being poor is when incomes are below a certain level. I'd suggest that spending choices also have a bearing on our standard of living.

I feel genuinely sorry for people who have serious health problems and disabilities that prevent them from working. Work is more than just about earning a living, it gives us a purpose, some social contact and it can help with our personal development. I've worked with people who have serious disabilities, yet can hold down their jobs and do them well. But that is partly to do with how their disability affects them, what the actual job entails, and the attitude of their employer.

One size really doesn't fit all in this debate as evildrneil and Medusa have demonstrated in their posts. Unfortunately genuine cases have been tainted by a minority who have seen sickness benefits as a better option than JSA. However, I believe part of the problem is that after 6 months on JSA it becomes means tested. No matter how long someone has paid NI, if their partner works, JSA stops. Incapacity benefit is slightly more and is not means tested, so there is an immediate benefit to a couple where one is out of work to go 'on the sick'.

The whole system is far too complex.

But if you can do voluntary work, why not do the paid equivalent?

Because he would lose his benefits …………. As I said earlier its nice if you can pick and choose, some people are working 12 hour shifts on minimum wage because they don’t have the luxury of that choice.

I was forced to do this 'test' a couple of years ago. I was on JSA at the time, had a major operation and the box-ticker at Cavendish Court made me undergo an 'assessment' to push me on to ESA (That's how they show a monthly fall in unemployment, and pushing people onto WiseAbility, Remploy, A4e and other useless courses).

Before I went, I had to fill in the form. Believe me, any of you reading this would be deemed 'suitable to work'. If not, you'd be dead.

I ended up having a laugh with the ATOS (Paris-based, skim £100m per year off the Government) doctor. Told her I was just in need of a couple of months recuperation and the whole thing was a joke.

As has been said, exactly what jobs are there for these newly-found Damascene converts?

So who will emply someone who has spent the last 13 years in Wetherspoons drinking larger? hardly looks good on an application form does it?

Pretty spot on, but these people will always attract criticism.

Especially if they admit to being 'unfit for work' for 20 years, then decide they are fit for voluntary work for 20 years, and then the truth comes out.

It will affect their benefits!

Some people just don't help themselves.

p.s. Daily Fail, before you ask.

Archived