Only 7% sickness benefit claimants unable to do any sort of work

I know I'll get flamed for this, but why would/should I work for a quid 50 an hour when IMO I could do just as good a job on proper money? Yes I know it would negatively affect my benefits, but if it was up to me I'd be working for enough money to not have to be on benefits!

Also, from a personal point, there would be issues surrounding me doing call centre work, they wear headsets due to the nature of the work, I wear a hearing aid, and to date, not even the RNID have been able to sell me a headset that works with my hearing aid! And until about 6 or so years ago I had to wear an adaptor to be able to use a mobile phone!

I know that under the DDA the company would have to provide such aids to enable me to work, but there's still the fact that I refuse on principle to work for slave wages just cos I can't affect my benefits.

At least you have admitted you don't want paid work.

I ended up spending 4 months bored out of my skull working in the Oxfam shop on King St

It could be worse you could have spent 30 years bored out of you scull working in a factory, getting up at 5am, working nights, working weekends ……… oh hold on that’s what thousands of people do rather than sign on.

instead of seeing a benefit as an entitlement, why don't we see this as enabling people the ability to live their lives to its potential.

its no secret that people getting onto benefits live less fruit fall lives, are less healthy and die younger.

instead of seeing a benefit as an entitlement, why don't we see this as enabling people the ability to live their lives to its potential.

its no secret that people getting onto benefits live less fruit fall lives, are less healthy and die younger.

I'm not sure I understand..

Meh, I've done A4E (something similar anyway) and Remploy, both were a complete waste of time and no help in getting work, apart from that from Roger Worth Training I ended up spending 4 months bored out of my skull working in the Oxfam shop on King St, especially on a Thursday when Castle Markets were shut back in 1995.

Back in 95? Are you seriously saying that's the last time you even attempted to do work?

And what's so wrong with being bored out of your skull - that's what a lot of people sadly do have to put up with in some positions - it's perhaps unfortunate but at least you get to be productive.

i think the dhss must be clamping down on the long term unemployed now as 2 people i no have had letters from them giving them a date to go in for some kind of interview,

both of these people have been on long term unemployment, one claims to be depressed and the other an alcoholic which is a load of rubbish they no how to play the system and have got away with it for years,

Archived