Favourite memories of being little

Aye, favourite memory, aged 6 and been taken to see my father in the hospital. I remember Mum telling me as he was in a very deep sleep (Coma) he would not know or speak to me. True to her word he just lay there with out moving or saying anything. When we left Mum said give your dads hand a rub, I remember to this day 55 years later - he gripped my hand and squeezed it.

No one ever believed me that it happened, and he died before I ever saw him again.

That is my oldest and fondest memory. I remember as if it were yesterday.

Regards

Angel.

Aye, favourite memory, aged 6 and been taken to see my father in the hospital. I remember Mum telling me as he was in a very deep sleep (Coma) he would not know or speak to me. True to her word he just lay there with out moving or saying anything. When we left Mum said give your dads hand a rub, I remember to this day 55 years later - he gripped my hand and squeezed it.

No one ever believed me that it happened, and he died before I ever saw him again.

Regards

Angel.

Oh lord. I'm sorry that that was your favourite childhood memory due to the circumstances but at the same time, I can see why it would be.

That's really sad Angel :(

Regards

Angel.

I believe you 100%, when my Nan was dying of cancer in the hospital, the nurses told me that her only sense left was her hearing and that she was "drifting away", I sat by her bed, she very sleepily opened her eyes and said "Hello love" then closed her eyes and died later that evening.

yes comics with a plastic mouth organ or summat similar what treasure that was then, imagine giving a young un a plastic mouth organ these days ? they'd stamp on it !

*chortles"

I don't know if they'd actually stamp on it, but I bet they'd spend a good ten minutes searching for where the batteries were meant to go...! lol

Smelling my mothers home made bread,

Ooooh gosh, yes! Home-made bread.... Nothing like it for taste or aroma... Slottened in best butter.... MMMM heaven.

Among my other favourite memories was tucking into my mum's bakewell tart, and custard, on "baking" day, or her bread-and-butter pudding. Yum!

Going to my granny's for Sunday lunch, and helping her make the jelly we would have for tea... It was always raspberry jelly or orange jelly with fruit (we'd have mandarin oranges or fruit cocktail)

I'd prepare the jelly, stood on her step-stool at her worktop, (I was such a short-house as a "young'un", I was too small to reach) snipping the cubes into small pieces to make them dissolve more easily. making up the jelly with half boiling water, and then when it had dissolved, and cooled a bit, adding the tinned fruit to make it up to the full capacity.

We'd serve it at teatime, topped with "shaky" cream (fussells sterilised cream in a can, which you'd shake to thicken) with a slab of bread-and-best-butter.

Ooooh gosh, yes! Home-made bread.... Nothing like it for taste or aroma... Slottened in best butter.... MMMM heaven.

Among my other favourite memories was tucking into my mum's bakewell tart, and custard...

You've just reminded me of my own mum's baking; she made the best chocolate eclairs, coconut maccaroons and crockpot chocolate cake :love:. Thanks to her I can make a mean banana loaf. ;)

Oh lord. I'm sorry that that was your favourite childhood memory due to the circumstances but at the same time, I can see why it would be.

That's really sad Angel :(

Aye, it's sad, but on the other hand it's the memory of my Dad that will never leave me. Some kids never know their father, I feel sorry for them.

When Mum passed I got all my late fathers papers from a box she kept, doctors reports, autopsy forms and the like. I get them out and have a read of them sometimes. It's comforting.

Regards

Angel.

Archived