Favourite memories of being little

Going to my granny's for Sunday lunch, and helping her make the jelly we would have for tea... It was always raspberry jelly or orange jelly with fruit (we'd have mandarin oranges or fruit cocktail)

I'd prepare the jelly, stood on her step-stool at her worktop, (I was such a short-house as a "young'un", I was too small to reach) snipping the cubes into small pieces to make them dissolve more easily. making up the jelly with half boiling water, and then when it had dissolved, and cooled a bit, adding the tinned fruit to make it up to the full capacity.

We'd serve it at teatime, topped with "shaky" cream (fussells sterilised cream in a can, which you'd shake to thicken) with a slab of bread-and-best-butter.

PT I think we had the same grandma...:)

my fav memory was going to the old abc cimema down town and if it was your birthday you went on stage before the films started and got some treats . it was my birthday every week :D:D:D

yes me mam used to work at the classic in fitzalan square so we used to get in for nowt every saturday at i think 10 a.m to watch all the disney classics, pinocchio, snow white etc then getting told off from the usherette with the torch shining in your face and blinding you ha ha :)

You have just jolted a lovely memory there for me.

When I was 8 or 9 my nan bought me a pair of roller skates that I had been pestering for for my birthday, I thought I would burst with happiness. Then she told me to go and get ready we were going out and she took me to the cinema in Fitzalan Square, The Classic, and I saw my first "grown up" film it was The Sound Of Music. Before that I had only been to see animated films, I felt so grown up.

You have just jolted a lovely memory there for me.

I saw my first "grown up" film it was The Sound Of Music. Before that I had only been to see animated films, I felt so grown up.

Hey! ... you've just jolted my memory too! I remember my granddad taking me to see 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks' when I was a little boy ... was it the 'Gaumont'? ... that cinema next to where John Lewis is now ... can't remember!

The queue went on for miles town the side of Coles and I was frightened we wouldn't get in! We did ... I loved the film and felt very special with my great big bag of popcorn!

I think it was only a few days later that my granddad died peacefully (and suddenly) in his sleep ... he was the best granddad in the world! :)

Hey! ... you've just jolted my memory too! I remember my granddad taking me to see 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks' when I was a little boy ... was it the 'Gaumont'? ... that cinema next to where John Lewis is now ... can't remember!

The queue went on for miles town the side of Coles and I was frightened we wouldn't get in! We did ... I loved the film and felt very special with my great big bag of popcorn!

I think it was only a few days later that my granddad died peacefully (and suddenly) in his sleep ... he was the best granddad in the world! :)

That's a lovely memory. Aren't all Grandads the best Grandad's in the world?

Our grandaughters now think we are the best and it's a lovely feeling helping them make their memories.

Archived