Pay Pal Scam Be Warned

Hello - My brothers selling a car on E-Bay and was alerted to a scam that's becoming common. I thought I'd pass it on in case anyone's selling something similar. He realised what was happening and contacted E-Bay, they explained how it works.

Say you're selling a car for example. Someone bids for and wins or they purchase it as a Buy It Now Deal. The car is sold at 500.00. They pay you 800.00 the money hits your Pay Pal account. They then contact you and ask you to repay 300.00 because they've made an error. Don't!

The 800.00 in your Pay Pal account won't have cleared and the transaction will fail once Pay Pal try to take funds from the fraudsters bank account. Because the funds haven't cleared the 300.00 will be taken from your bank account. By the time you've realised you'll be 300.00 quid down!

Something may have been lost in translation but you get the jist...

But a new scam has emerged, people will buy something which is collection only, pay via paypal collect the item the dispute via ebay.

Or something along them lines.

Way to avoid it, is to insist cash on collection only.

Archived