Changing back to Maiden name after divorce - Advice please

Originally posted by Hels

I was under the impression that although you can call yourself whatever you want, that it is quite difficult to legally change your 'Christian' name if you'd been Christened? Not sure where I got that idea from though.

(snipped)

It's a very common fallacy, Hels...

Someone else said a similar thing to me, about how "once the bishop had confirmed you under that name, you weren't able to change it".

At the time, it raised a couple of questions... well three really.

first question:- how then would a woman go on if she was confirmed, then married? As actually most women were...

secondly:- why no change permitted? would one get to the old "Pearly Gates", , and the big, all knowing, all-seeing boss man, up there in the sky would look up your name in the book, and say "Jim[ Jones? No, sorry mate:- we have a Jack Jones... if your name's not on the list, you aint coming in..."

thirdly:- Catholic children, at their confirmation, adopt a further middle name in addition to the one(s) thier parents chose for them on their birth. It could be the name of a favoured saint, or other luminary, taken as their "confirmation name".

Again if it were not permissible to alter ones name after being christened, how would they be able to adopt another middle name?

Because in the Catholic, and the Anglican churches, one of the necessities to be able to be confirmed, and partake in the communion is that one must have been christened.

It sort of cancels itself out, doesn't it?

PT

All really interesting....

My son has now arrived at the age where he is able to choose wether he wants to keep his 'fathers' (sperm donors) surname, or change it to the same as my surname (and all the family that is actually around and love him)

I could have chosen to do this years ago myself, but, along with his religious beliefs, I thought he should make up his own mind when the time was right.

And now he has, and he wants to be one of us, I can't say how thrilled I am, his dad hasn't been to see him/phoned or anything for about a year now, and before that it was twice a year if he was lucky, and one time he might even be sober...

Anyway this wasn't meant to be about him lol, what I wanted to confirm was that everyone seems to be of the belief that you can just decide to be called what you want, does this go in my sons case too?

Can I just write to his school/doctors etc and tell them about his name change, or is it better to do it through deed poll for future reasons?

I'm assuming there is no way you can alter a birth certificate?

We were never married, if that makes any difference?

Originally posted by dawny1

Thanks Ann_x, you wouldn't believe what a pain it is when filling out forms when you have to put down all the names you have had, Ive had 3 different surnames since I was born and going back to my maiden name will make it 4 name changes!!! People will think I have an Identitiy Crisis! :confused: Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

Go for a double-barrelled surname - Dawny Jessee-Lover

:P:rolleyes:

You can call yourself whatever you like and it doesn't have to be the name on your birth certificate,provided as said before you let the banks,national insurance,utilities etc know the change of name.

What may be easier - don't change your surname when you marry, you don't have to.

Women changed their names because they "became the property of the man they maried", back in the good old bad old days, and it's a tradition that hasn't died out.

Some women keep their names if they are "professionals" (i e atresses, doctors etc but it's still not as common for women to keep their maiden name when they marry.

PT

Dawny this from the CAB website:

How to change your name

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

Although there is no legal way to change a name, you may want evidence that you have changed your name (see under heading Evidence of change of name). However, you cannot change details on your birth certificate, except in limited circumstances.

Changing details on a birth certificate can be complicated. If you wish to do this you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by e-mail, click on nearest CAB.

Once you have decided to change your name, you can use the new name for all purposes, for example, publishing marriage bans, legal proceedings and obtaining, or changing details on a driving licence or passport.

The cab website is full of useful info...............the CAB bureau can give more "in depth" info if required

Thanks Davyboy - I was wondering about my Passport though - I have to apply for a new one as it has run out and is in my married name.

So if I just inform Doctors, Banks etc I suppose if I just show my Birth certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Papers and Deed Poll of my name change when I was 7, I should be OK to have my Passport in my Maiden Name again.

It's the Passport which is my main concern. Thanks everyone - it doesn't seem to be as complicated as I thought. :thumbsup:

I guess I just find it strange, PT - imho it's an archaic tradition that no longer applies. Plus with the divorce rate rising - is there really any point?

I'm being cynical again, aren't I? :suspect:

Originally posted by Plain Talker

Women changed their names because they "became the property of the man they maried", back in the good old bad old days, and it's a tradition that hasn't died out.

Some women keep their names if they are "professionals" (i e atresses, doctors etc but it's still not as common for women to keep their maiden name when they marry.

PT

Originally posted by dawny1

Thanks Davyboy - I was wondering about my Passport though - I have to apply for a new one as it has run out and is in my married name.

So if I just inform Doctors, Banks etc I suppose if I just show my Birth certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Papers and Deed Poll of my name change when I was 7, I should be OK to have my Passport in my Maiden Name again.

It's the Passport which is my main concern. Thanks everyone - it doesn't seem to be as complicated as I thought. :thumbsup:

When I got a new passport having reverted to my maiden name I think I sent the old one in, my decree absolute and an explanatory letter, or put something on the passport form. It wasnt a problem.

Archived