Changing back to Maiden name after divorce - Advice please

Originally posted by stars_gazing

I guess I just find it strange, PT - imho it's an archaic tradition that no longer applies. Plus with the divorce rate rising - is there really any point?

I'm being cynical again, aren't I? :suspect:

I don't think you are being that cynical, stars.....

I agree with you quite a bit, about it being archaic etc.

If and when I marry the love of my life (which, as it stands, will be a 2nd marriage for both of us) I don't consider that I will be "his property", I intend that we be an equal partnership.

However, I must admit, I am undecided about whether I will change my name.

In places like Iceland, I would have been given the name of my father as my surname.

Eg, I would be named "Miss Plain Briansdottir"- that is, literally, Brian's daughter.

My ex-husband would have been "Jan Victorsson". (son of Victor)

Now, when I married him, I would not have become "Mrs Plain Victorsson", I'd have simply taken on the title "Mrs", and become MRS Plain Briansdottir)

I think that would be so much easier. I think I'd much prefer that way of working.

PT

• 8 years later...

What about if you just want to go by your maiden name (you can easily prove it's you if necessary by showing your birth certificate), but if you just say "Hey, call me Miss XXXX from now on, not Mrs YYYY", surely that doesn't need to impinge on your driving licence and passport?????? Does it??? Just tell the bank, your work, utilities and so on????? But legally you'd still be your married name (since you're only changing your preference for what you want people to call you, that's all)? Have I got that sorted out right in my head??

What about if you just want to go by your maiden name (you can easily prove it's you if necessary by showing your birth certificate), but if you just say "Hey, call me Miss XXXX from now on, not Mrs YYYY", surely that doesn't need to impinge on your driving licence and passport?????? Does it??? Just tell the bank, your work, utilities and so on????? But legally you'd still be your married name (since you're only changing your preference for what you want people to call you, that's all)? Have I got that sorted out right in my head??

Holy thread resurrection Batman.....this one's nearly 9 years old.....

Holy thread resurrection Batman.....this one's nearly 9 years old.....

And your point is?!! It's a good thread, the question I'm asking I just was interested to see if someone had an answer to.... the internet is a wonderful place and threads from yesteryear may come up on a search. Doesn't mean they're no longer relevant to someone out there!

And your point is?!! It's a good thread, the question I'm asking I just was interested to see if someone had an answer to.... the internet is a wonderful place and threads from yesteryear may come up on a search. Doesn't mean they're no longer relevant to someone out there!

My point is it's strange for someone to drag up a 9 year old thread to use as their first entry onto a forum....that's all...

Well, it may be an old thread but have read through and found it interesting and it is true that people can call themselves whatever they like as long as the relevant authorities are informed. There is no need to use deed poll AFAIK.

A survey by Facebook indicates that younger women are less likely to take their husband's name. Perhaps it is more popular in women who have a well established individual identity. There is an article here about how to go about telling people that you are keeping your maiden name. It gives some food for thought regarding the changing of surnames.

Following a change in the law in 1983, Greek women have to keep their birth names - see here. There is a lot of sense in that, particularly in the face of rising divorce rates.

I like the Icelandic way which, as described, has the female title of 'dottir' (daughter prefixed by the father's name). Problem in this country is that there are so many children born to absent fathers that it wouldn't be very practical.

I know people who have been divorced many, many years and still retain their ex-husband's surname. I don't know why - the OP's stance on this seems to be the more open one.

Women may want to become known by the same surname as their husband, but it is worth considering that there really is no need. A surname is tied up with a person's identity and that is one thing that someone shouldn't lose within marriage.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to the local court house and they made an apointment for me to go in and change my name,Imade up a complete new surname paid for the official stamp to be applied to the deed (£!) and that was it, I informed all relevent parties,bank etc,and that was it

Archived