Flying red ants MEGATHREAD

I'd just like to categorically state here and now that none of the experiments here at Area 51 and a half are currently utilising ants of any kind (at the moment) ... this includes the flying variety.:|

Admiral chippy has been deep frying them in batter and trying to pass them off as mini scampi according to the Walkley rumour mill.

Admiral chippy has been deep frying them in batter and trying to pass them off as mini scampi according to the Walkley rumour mill.

That's ridiculous! ... what's wrong with Walkley? Everyone knows scampies don't have wings! Pffft! :rolleyes:

That's ridiculous! ... what's wrong with Walkley? Everyone knows scampies don't have wings! Pffft! :rolleyes:

Folk up Crookes do some funny things - it's the lack of oxygen tha nose. They'll be passing off dog turds as black dag if we don't keep an eye on 'em :cool:

I tried to take my brother to the playground near our house last night for a woman to stop me on the way there and tell me not to bother, as her son and her were just on their way home as her son had been bitten a couple of times and it had swelled up massively. I didn't know they would bite!

For the 3rd year running ants have nested in our conservatory wall. This is despite filling every crack in the mortar, spraying and putting down powder. They manage to get through the mortar into the conservatory itself, morphing into flying ants as they go and crawl around the window sill, table and floor. I'm 2 storeys up at the mo and one just flittered up my arm. I honestly don't know what to do.

same here i sprayed them with raid

What's the best way to get rid of these? As ant powder seems to be losing this war.

Flying ants are new queens looking for somewhere to start a new nest.

Once a nest is established, ordinary ant powder is a waste of time & money - every ant you kill will simply be replaced by the the Queen.

The only way to get rid of them totally is to kill the Queen.

Buy (at Homebase or similar stores) Home Defence Ant Stop! Bait Station.

Two ready-to-use bait stations in each pack. Contains an attractive bait and powerful ant killer.

This destroys ants and their nests. Worker ants, foraging for food, take the bait back to the nest where it is distributed to the Queen and other members of the colony and kills the lot.

Can also be bought as granules, in a large tub for under £7, to be sprinkled in cracks & crevices (away from pets or birds) where ant are running.

I re-fill the bait stations with granules so they can be used over & over again - works like a charm and gets rid of a whole nest in 3 or 4 days.

You have herds of birds where you live?

Being crapped on by a bird is supposed to be lucky ...

How big are the birds in your bird herds?

Do the pigs fly too?

It's the ANTS that are in herds-obviously:rolleyes:

As for flying pigs.No they can't fly-they're bloody hopeless.I am however currently attempting to teach my pet pecary,Gregory,to hang glide but I'm getting nowhere.He won't listen,he thinks he knows it all.

Archived