72 year old arrested for protecting himself

A couple of people have already answered your point for me. This is an old man who probably feared for his life while being robbed. The last thing he needs now is to be held by the police in horrible surroundings away from friends and family.

Yes, he does need to be questioned about the death / murder / manslaughter, but there needs to be some compassion in the way he's treated.

I'm sure the police have their own thoughts on the matter and conduct the interviews accordingly.

The more they mess about with the law, the more confusing it gets. I recall Jack Charlton commenting on changes made to the 'off side' rule, he said, "If someone is on the field of play they are interfering with play".

If several people scare someone in their own shop, so much that the elderly shop owner feels that he has to use a knife to protect himself, something tells me that there ought to be a different rule for him than for a knife wielding yob. Didn't there used to be something called 'sufficient cause'?

That's exactly what the police are investigating, and - unless it turns out that he was stabbing a man repeatedly after he was already down - it's very probable that it will turn out to have applied here and no crime will have been committed.

• 1 month later...
It's a bloody joke, a gang of thieves try to rob him, he responds with one of the tools of his trade, one of the robbers dies, the police are waiting to charge the injured 72 year old with murder.

Whoever came to this conclusion needs sacking, Trafford area again I see, what a load of plonkers. :loopy:

Will you revise your opinion now Crookesey? Something happened, the police investigated it, it was self defence and so the charges are dropped.

Will you revise your opinion now Crookesey? Something happened, the police investigated it, it was self defence and so the charges are dropped.

Yes OK then, they have probably spent upwards of £1million in overtime and legal payments, nice little earners are these, especially with folk around that actually think that the police do a good job. :rolleyes:

Excellent news, I'm made up for him, though I'm sure for the victim (the shopkeeper) it's been a traumatic and stressful time that frankly a 72 year old could do without.

They can't please you can they.

What in your opinion should happen when there is a scuffle and someone ends up dead?

I am the only witness to an incident that I can't say any more on. Two police officers have spent two weeks on overtime interviewing people who have no knowledge of it, they have coined it in.

Archived