Human Rights act used to beat us with again.

You are "fortunate" because your forefathers worked and fought hard to make this country what it is. There is no "accident of birth"

Of course there's an accident of birth. Are you going to claim that you chose which two people you would have as your parents?

The onus should be on them to prove where they come from, rather than us to prove otherwise.

The only countries we should be accepting refugees from are those that are closer to Britain than any other country. We should not be accepting people from the Middle-East or Africa, because there are plenty of countries between there and here that could accomodate them.

Those countries do exactly that. I find it helpful to try to keep up to date with the facts of the affairs that I have strong opinions about rather than relying on ignorance to form those opinions.

Just looks like a pair of losers trying their luck to be honest. Get this in most walks of life one way or another.

If they do get anywhere with any of this though perhap I'll sue someone to get a holiday. Could really do with one but like most people need to save first.

It does not have to be persecution. Asylum is for people whose life is at risk; that could be for any number of reasons. Currently there are a few million people in Somalia whose life is at risk because of starvation.

People fleeing war, famine and other natual disasters are refugees, not asylum seekers. The two are not the same.

Of course there's an accident of birth. Are you going to claim that you chose which two people you would have as your parents?

Maybe being pedantic, but shouldn't that be the other way around? Of course a child doesn't choose where to be born, but the parents make choices which certainly decide where they live and where the child is born, which is no accident.

What really disturbs me about this thread is that after all that has gone on over the past few weeks, people are still reading the Sun and taking the arse paper as a teller of the truth.

Like others have said, they won't win. Stop reading that xenophobic rag. It's bad for your eyes.

Do you mean genuine asylum seekers, genuine refugees or just darkies after a free house, mobile phone, car, and handouts?

I think the operative word is genuine. Genuine asylum seekers and refugees will always be welcome in the UK, fraudsters who simply want to take advantage of the asylum and refugee system are not. I don't think skin colour is anything to do with either, genuine asylum seekers and refugees, and indeed the fraudsters, come in all shades.

I think the operative word is genuine. Genuine asylum seekers and refugees will always be welcome in the UK, fraudsters who simply want to take advantage of the asylum and refugee system are not. I don't think skin colour is anything to do with either, genuine asylum seekers and refugees, and indeed the fraudsters, come in all shades.

That's absolutely right, but since many of the detractors can't tell the difference between immigrants, asylum seekers or refugees-their indignation tends to be directed at anyone with a dark skin. It's unlikely these people have gone up to them and identified themselves as fraudsters.

Maybe being pedantic, but shouldn't that be the other way around?

Emphatically not. The argument is that someone obtains privileges because of where he/she was born, and the person being born has absolutely no say whatsoever in where that might be. It's completely pot luck.

Archived