How much pond liner wil i need for 6ft long 4ft wide 3ft deep

You need to overlap the pond on all sides so the liner won't be dragged down into the middle- you cover the excess liner with sand and earth. Assuming the pond has straight vertical sides, I would say somewhere in the region of 18 x 15

Maths, obviously not being your strong point ... :rolleyes:

The pond is a rectangular prism and will have a base and 4 sides. The base will have an area of 6 x 4 = 24 sq ft. Two of the sides will have a combined area of 6 x 3 x 2 = 36 sq ft and the other two will be 4 x 3 x 2 = 24 sq ft. This gives a total of 84 sq ft. Which is what you said. However it wouldn't be possible to buy liner cut to the exact net (shape) without paying for the cut offs and even if it were it would leak in the corners as i is not possible to make a perfect seal. So the least amount required (the cut out mentioned earlier would be folded under in the corners so there would be no leaks) would be a rectangular sheet 12 ft by 10 ft which is 120 sq ft. However, for 1ft of overlap a sheet of 14 ft by 12 ft would be needed which is 168 sq ft so it appears Bulgarian is correct. You would be crrect if the OP was speaking about the surface area of a molded pond but he isn't. Take your blinkers off and consider what happens to the liner once it has been bought, it won't just slide into the hole and fit perfectly - it's not that simple.

Maths, obviously not being your strong point ... :rolleyes:

Ok then Mr Archimedes.If it takes two men a 4 days to dig a hole ,how long will it take one man to dig half a hole?I am not expecting you to answer that,and certainly dont expect an accurate answer.

NB no calculators allowed.

The pond is a rectangular prism and will have a base and 4 sides. The base will have an area of 6 x 4 = 24 sq ft. Two of the sides will have a combined area of 6 x 3 x 2 = 36 sq ft and the other two will be 4 x 3 x 2 = 24 sq ft. This gives a total of 84 sq ft. Which is what you said. However it wouldn't be possible to buy liner cut to the exact net (shape) without paying for the cut offs and even if it were it would leak in the corners as i is not possible to make a perfect seal. So the least amount required (the cut out mentioned earlier would be folded under in the corners so there would be no leaks) would be a rectangular sheet 12 ft by 10 ft which is 120 sq ft. However, for 1ft of overlap a sheet of 14 ft by 12 ft would be needed which is 168 sq ft so it appears Bulgarian is correct. You would be crrect if the OP was speaking about the surface area of a molded pond but he isn't. Take your blinkers off and consider what happens to the liner once it has been bought, it won't just slide into the hole and fit perfectly - it's not that simple.

The OP at no point said he wanted to fill the hole with water. He merely asked how much pond liner he'd need to line a hole 6 by 4 by 3. I gave the correct answer ... same answer for how much carpet you'd need to line it (or brown wrapping paper) :)

If he wants to line the hole with a view to filling it with water, I'd suggest a piece of liner 16' by 14' (allowing a 2' overlap at the top)

The OP at no point said he wanted to fill the hole with water. He merely asked how much pond liner he'd need to line a hole 6 by 4 by 3. I gave the correct answer ... same answer for how much carpet you'd need to line it (or brown wrapping paper) :)

If he wants to line the hole with a view to filling it with water, I'd suggest a piece of liner 16' by 14' (allowing a 2' overlap at the top)

Come on own up -you goofed.The OP needed dimensions not area as your 84 sqr ft could be 12X 7,24X 3.5,84X1 and any number of combinations.What would be the point of a pond linet that held no water?

Nice try. :hihi:

I'd appreciate if you lot would stop having a go at his eminence Mr Alcoblog - he was merely trying to help or you may find that our chancellor MOS may impose excess VAT on pond liners:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I'd appreciate if you lot would stop having a go at his eminence Mr Alcoblog - he was merely trying to help or you may find that our chancellor MOS may impose excess VAT on pond liners:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Apparently the high oil prices mean that thieves are removing liners for resale on ebay.

Archived