Which area of Sheffield would you choose if you could move there today?

I certainly wouldn't say Dore was any where near the nicest place in Sheffield. The appearance of a lot of the residential streets doesn't look completely dissimilar to an 'upmarket' council estate. It's not exactly the rolling valleys and 10 bedroom mansions the people who live there would have you believe

So you don't know it, and can't afford to live there, why didn't you say so? :D

• 2 months later...
So you don't know it, and can't afford to live there, why didn't you say so? :D

I could afford to live there, but certainly not in any sort of stately home. I'm not super-rich, I don't mind admitting, I just don't really get the appeal of Dore. If money was no object I'd choose a penthouse apartment overlooking Encliffe Park I think

I'd live anywhere that was quiet & where I knew I could sit in my garden or front room or go to bed without hearing people shouting, radios on with the windows open, children screaming, dogs barking, loud parties until all hours and raves.

I'm never, ever going to find this because, wherever ever you live, there are thoughtless, selfish people.

I've lived in a bedsit in Netherthorpe, a terrace in Crookes, a detached house in Walkley & the detached house I live in now. The quietest was the bedsit, because everyone was considerate. The noisiest was the beautiful detached house where the lunatic next door lit bonfires all day every day & threatened me with violence when I finally complained & where I I couldn't wait to leave.

It's people that matter, not places.

I'd live anywhere that was quiet & where I knew I could sit in my garden or front room or go to bed without hearing people shouting, radios on with the windows open, children screaming, dogs barking, loud parties until all hours and raves.

I'm never, ever going to find this because, wherever ever you live, there are thoughtless, selfish people.

I've lived in a bedsit in Netherthorpe, a terrace in Crookes, a detached house in Walkley & the detached house I live in now. The quietest was the bedsit, because everyone was considerate. The noisiest was the beautiful detached house where the lunatic next door lit bonfires all day every day & threatened me with violence when I finally complained & where I I couldn't wait to leave.

It's people that matter, not places.

Couldn't agree more. Peace and quiet is almost impossible to come by if you want to live within a mile of another human. The apartment I live in now was great for the first month I lived here because it was one of two apartments occupied for a whole month (new build). You could sit on the balcony a hear nothing but an occasional car in the distance. Now there seem to have been a sudden influx of couples with marital difficulty. Loud marital difficulty

I would like to live on the Gleadless Valley the finest council estate ever built.

Seven years ago i did move back. Middle Hay Place the end house next to Gleadless Road.

A view from the lounge window to die for.

A double garage.

Plenty of buses to town [also an easy walk all downhill]

A good couple of pubs.

Brilliant walks with my dog.

Perfect.

Except the complete and utter nut cases the council moved in around us ,

At sixty years old i had to start facing up to 16, 17 and 18 year old smack heads who drove around in stolen cars, The police always managed to turn up just as they had gone.

The brilliant old time residents who lived around us slowly started to move out ,and in less than two years we followed suite.

Driven out by nut cases who the authorities sided with by saying well they have got lots of problems you know.

So .I would like to live on the Gleadless Valley in my dream house with a view but i can,t.

Yes, I have to agree with you about the estate itself, the houses are well built and the green landscaping and wildlife are great. I am moving down to Overend area in a couple of months from Greystones. It seem reasonably quiet down that end of the estate, and I know a few people who live down there. I expect to have the odd problem, but I have the odd problem living in Greystones - no where is perfect. But, I want a very cheap house, in a fairly quiet area, three bedrooms, largeish kitchen, on a decent bus route and Gleadless valley provides this.

ask me in a few months how I am getting on? :lol:

Ridgeway is a quality little place and is probably where i'd move if i wanted to get away from it all. It's slap bang in the middle of valley so you get a very secluded feel. There's some brilliant scenery as well as lots of old stone buildings.

However, i can never understand why it's classed as Derbyshire! You start off at the top of Basegreen and go along High Lane. Once you pass The Pheonix pub you're in Derbyshire, but then as soon as you pass the Rdgeway Arms you're back in Sheffield!?

Right now i live in Basegreen and i love it. Friendly people, family and friends live nearby, lots of boozers nearby and great transport links. There are also a fair amount of fields (to play footy) and woods so it's not a concrete jungle either. I'm only 19 so i'm nowhere near ready to move to a quiet area.

Oh, and a note for any cyclists. "Ford Road" that goes from Marsh Lane right down into Ridgeway has got to be the most ridiculously steep and dangerous road to go down in Sheffield. The only thing stopping you from breaking the sound barrier is fear :hihi: There's a nice surprise at the bottom, too :hihi: