Did you make a Den?

Did you ever make a Den when you were little? Across the road from our house were some woods, so we built a den in some of the bushes, borrowed stuff from our houses to put in, like old chairs and stuff :hihi:, do kids still make dens anymore? Outside i mean, not in the house. We played in that den for ages, pretended it was our home and we lived there :hihi:

Yes we made dens near the river and also took things from home to decorate it. I took my mums best teapot and she wasn't happy :)

We had dens all over the place ! one of the earliest was in a hole in a field (up from the old garage where the new houses are on crosshill,Ecclesfield)

it was covered with a huge door so we could jump down and stay dry,

Others were in the fields next to Ecco park (now a housing estate),basically if we could climb inside a bush it became a den :)

JJ..

I remember us kids building a den in a neighbours garden and we started by balancing a stove enamel steel hearth plate (remember those?) across two bushes, someone shouted 'watch out' and we ran for it but it was me who copped for it as the plate slide off and came edge down on my head, this was immediately followed by a 200yd panic dash home with blood pouring down my front, and then a bus ride down to the hospital for stitches :hihi:

I remember making a den with my friends lol. We used to nick the wood from Jimmy child's slide it down the hill and we would build for hours ,the hours of fun we had sitting inside it telling ghost stories round a little fire and roasting potatoes on it ..........lolol Gawd that takes me back what fun lolol

We did as well with the Littlewoods Mitchells and masseys but to name a few?? :huh:

Lees Hall wood, Gleadless Valley, 1962ish.

There used to be the remnants of the old Lees Hall farm buildings which we played in often, but our den was across the track from there. It was the old caved-in entrance to the cellars of Lees Hall (long gone even back then). Just big, and deep, enough for two or three scruffy little urchins.

Might still be there in the undergrowth.

Walk down the path from Blackstock Rd towards dump-it site. Take left hand track uphill and follow it round to right. It levels out with bushes on left and fields with view down to dump-it site on right. Follow to end (T junction). As you approach this junction there should be overgown remains of Lees Hall farm on right. Do an about turn and walk back about 20 yards and somewhere in the brambles on your right (opposite side to farm) you may just find the remains of the brick arch that was our den.

If anyone cares to spend some time looking for it, let me know if you find it please.:)

We had one in the grounds of Davy United (think it was called that then) up at the top of the hill near the Handsworth garages, later we had one in the old factory next to the iron bridge at Darnall when we used to do train spotting. It had a working telephone!!

Archived