Did you make a Den?

That's all we didin the summer we would gather up loads of hay and create then deep in hedge bottoms. Using the hay to build the walls etc. Great fun. We also built simple treehouses. Spent most of summer holidays doling it. Another thing swings over ditches. That was great fun.

Many happy memories I can say.

yeah back in the early 80's some friends and i built a den/treehouse at what we thought was a lido on holbrook/halfway remember the willow trees grew from the old pool? and our den was accross three of the branches but on looking down it was right over the old wrought iron fence(thank god it never collapsed as we would have got impaled) for those who know the area it is directly behind holbrook precission castings just to the left of westfield tram stop if you are coming from town my other post mentions it in more detail I would love to know what it was

When I was young and living at Norton, we were lucky enough to be surrounded by woodland(where Gleadless valley is now), Graves Park, Barbers Fields, so we always had summer dens,but we neede one for winter. Quite by accident my cousin Rger and I fell down an old coal shoot and landed underneath the Methodist Chappel, it was the store and boiler room,we had our winter den there for ages.

We built a den in a mate's garden from orange boxes borrowed from outside Sandersons in Crosspool. Had a fire grate/chimney built in. Bits of wood to sit on. All we did was sit in there when it was wet, light the fire and smoke. If we got coal on the fire, you could cook a jacket potato. My God - we knew how to live.

We did as well with the Littlewoods Mitchells and masseys but to name a few?? :huh:

Oh the masseys now I know that Family they came of Lloyd street No. 42 Val and Joe was there parents, then moved to 33 willoughby street 5 lads I should know them lololol :wink::wink::wink: Denise there aunt lived at No 25 willoughby street she was one of 5 kids 1 boy 4 girls also off Lloyd street No 92 actually they were called Val ,david denise anne and janice (maiden name Hearnshaw )There parents name was Frank and Lucy

Oh the masseys now I know that Family they came of Lloyd street No. 42 Val and Joe was there parents, then moved to 33 willoughby street 5 lads I should know them lololol :wink::wink::wink: Denise there aunt lived at No 25 willoughby street she was one of 5 kids 1 boy 4 girls also off Lloyd street No 92 actually they were called Val ,david denise anne and janice (maiden name Hearnshaw )There parents name was Frank and Lucy
knocked about with Ferg for years you must know the Homers Betts and Alis then off popple street :suspect:

knocked about with Ferg for years you must know the Homers Betts and Alis then off popple street :suspect:

Yes I know the homers thought they lived on Lloyd street at one time but I could be mistakenI remember the chippy next to the firth park hotel too. david amd Michael if my memory serves me right lol we all used to know each other small community where everyone knew each other

The irvings lived on the front just down from Bradleys paper shop I drove past the other week all seems so run down now ,and the pub is some aisan community centre or something

Just thought of Paul Whiticker lolol now you have me thinking of all the old names

we made a few over the years, i can remember one we did in a tree it was brilliant we "borrowed" dads hammer and some nails and got loads of old wood and made walls we got old bits of carpets and curtains and even some roof felt my dad had left over from re roofing the shed at home :D that den lasted years sadly theres only the floor left now and some of the doorway i took my son to have a look the other day and he thought i was insane :hihi:

i can also remember making a massive one at the top of our garden under the big tree when we lived on prince of wales road it was HUGE! we had 2 rooms downstairs and a small one up in the tree. it had an old sofa in it and even a kitchen diner! :o and a drive where we used to park our scooters and go karts :hihi:

That wasn't a den, it was a mansion!!!

Our dens were a bit more "rustic" my mum's porch mat, Bob's mum's bathroom curtains, any cups, jugs ect we could smuggle out, bottles of pop and packets of biscuits borrowed from the larders of various parents. But we spent hours in them and had great fun. I don't know of any kids today that would do that unless it had a socket for their phone charger and laptop!!

Archived