If they swapped their guns for tools.

I replied to that post too.

I don't believe Bassman was suggesting that at all. The place is ruled by fear. The people who spread the fear do it in the name of a religion which goes back into the dark ages.

That's fine, but it could be ANY religion, as demonstrated in the example I gave.

Don't ruin the thread.

Don't ruin your own thread by placing emphasis on other people's contributions that didnt exist.

There was nothing Islamaphobic in what Bassman said.

I never suggested there was. I was saying his hypothesis was flawed and gave an example why.

It's rather ironic that I also mentioned taking up arms myself if ruled by a regime led by Abu Hamza, who's a Muslim, so I'm not into defending Muslims gratuitously.

You're already deviating from the fact that the leaders in Somalia seem happy to kill their own, let them starve and when the crap hits the fan ask the very people that they've barred to come back and help them.

No, your deviating it yourself, I made a simple comment that the problems in Somalia aren't entirely enshrined in the predominant religious culture and illustrated it by mentioning the Christian warlords in Uganda. It wasn't something for further debate or detract from the issues hampering the democratic development of Somalia.

He didn't attack Islam. He pointed out Islam's role.

As did BF point out Christianity's role in Uganda where the UK is pouring in 70million in aid.

If Islam isn't the issue then as HN suggested, BF's point is a relevant one when you consider your tax pound. An interesting point you seem to want to ignore in favour of Somalia.

I'm responding to as many posts as I can. I started the thread and I shal try to keep it going. The only point I made was for Boyfriday to not go on to one of his thread ruining missions. Bassman made two points and hasn't been back. Boyfriday played his game. I don't want that game to ruin what for me is a serious issue. We're enabling a regime to stay in power by supporting the victims.

I won't mention Islam again if you lot don't. Deal?

If Bassman was 'playing a game' why attack me rather than him??

I'm responding to as many posts as I can. I started the thread and I shal try to keep it going. The only point I made was for Boyfriday to not go on to one of his thread ruining missions. Bassman made two points and hasn't been back. Boyfriday played his game. I don't want that game to ruin what for me is a serious issue. We're enabling a regime to stay in power by supporting the victims.

I won't mention Islam again if you lot don't. Deal?

HeadingNorth is right. Your prejudices and preconceptions about forum contributions are showing, Tony.

That's fine, but it could be ANY religion, as demonstrated in the example I gave.

It could. In this case it's Islam. Bassman was correct.

Don't ruin your own thread by placing emphasis on other people's contributions that didnt exist.

I never suggested there was. I was saying his hypothesis was flawed and gave an example why.

Perhaps Bassman should have replaced the word Islam with religion.

No, your deviating it yourself, I made a simple comment that the problems in Somalia aren't entirely enshrined in the predominant religious culture and illustrated it by mentioning the Christian warlords in Uganda. It wasn't something for further debate or detract from the issues hampering the democratic development of Somalia.

I am now as I'm trying to answer all posts. I'll blame religion for lots of problems and I don't hide that. You can't say that these people are starving and fighting because of their secularism.

As did BF point out Christianity's role in Uganda where the UK is pouring in 70million in aid.

If Islam isn't the issue then as HN suggested, BF's point is a relevant one when you consider your tax pound. An interesting point you seem to want to ignore in favour of Somalia.

I object to that too. They have terrible gay rights. But hey it's not like they're the Muslim militia in Somalia. There's the point. Why mention Christians in Uganda when we're discussing Somalia and why people are starving. That was my orignal line to you Boyfriday. Bassman was on topic. Islam plays a role same as Christianity plays a role in Uganda.

It could. In this case it's Islam. Bassman was correct.
Absolutely, but I guarantee if his comment had been left unchallenged your thread would have been overrun with the xenophobes who are incapable of maintaining a coherent argument. I'm not suggesting Bassman is one of those by the way.

Perhaps Bassman should have replaced the word Islam with religion.

I agree.

I am now as I'm trying to answer all posts. I'll blame religion for lots of problems and I don't hide that. You can't say that these people are starving and fighting because of their secularism.

You're right, I wasn't saying that. The leaders in Somalia follow a flawed doctrine and economic/social policies, but to say it's entirely the fault of religion would be wrong in my opinion.

If Bassman was 'playing a game' why attack me rather than him??

Bassman stayed within the context of the discussion. He gave his reason why he thinks Somalians are starving. You just mentioned Christian gangsters in Uganda without much point other than to make Bassman seem prejudice towards Islam. Islam is playing a role in Somalia is it not?

Archived