Shop opposite Union pub.

I saw a picture in the Star's Retro supplement last week of the Union pub at Nether Edge showing a corner shop opposite.I remember passing the pub many times in the 70's but don't remember the shop.Does anyone remember it and when it was demolished?

Before it was the antique dealers it was a traditional corner shop selling groceries, this would've been late 70s.

Now you come to mention it, yes it was, and the Union Hotel didn't have the back room, it was tiny. That part of Nether Edge is one of the least changed areas in Sheffield, I still love it.

If this is the shop at the corner of Osborne & Union this is the one I used to frequent in the 50's as a pupil at Nether Ede Grammar. We used to buy teacakes to be hollowed out and filled with crisps with a side order of four domino cigarettes in their little paper packet.

not sure if you mean the one on the junction of union rd/osborne rd but that used to be a corner shop up until about 5 years ago and it is now a cafe

No, I remember that one too, I used to shop there regularly. I think that one was called Cherry Tree Store, in my day it was run by a couple called Linda and Eric. The one we're talking about in this thread was much smaller and extremely "local", in the League of Gentlemen sense.

Archived