PC WORLD/currys does it again

...what i would like is ppls story of how many times they have been to there stores to find out item they have reserved is not there.

Never. The Home Depot offers an online order/next day store pickup service. Their store is 9 miles away and I'm not going to waste time and money driving there to find that the item I want is out of stock, so I usually order online (and am told within seconds whether the item is in stock.) If it is, I select a pickup time the next day, go there collect and pay for the item.

Reservations are not guaranteed, whilst endeavours are made to contact customers where possible, it doesn't always happen (its a customer facing environment, not a call centre).

Everyone agrees to the T&C's before placing a reservation, though people neglect to take note of the basics.

It relies on stock file accuracy, and yes, things do get stolen, things do sometimes get miscounted; again why reservations aren't guaranteed, that said, you should always be offered an alternative, and they may match the price provided the difference is nothing silly, but that's discretionary, so be nice about it if you play that card, they don't have to.

Reservations online are not paid for until you reach the store, either.

If you can get away with that, so be it. You may find, however, that your customers see your inability to provide the promised item as 'poor customer service'. If there's an alternative supplier, many will take their business elsewhere. Far better (IMO) to tell the customer that the item is not available and subsequently to find that there was one than to tell a customer that an item is available and then fail to supply it.

Most people accept that stores do run out of items and can't always have every item in stock. They might be a little disappointed, but they tend to accept it. Few people are likely to accept that an item they were told was being reserved for them is not there when they show up to collect it.

My nan ordered a fridge freezer, a range cooker, and a wine cooler fridge thingy - In store.

They told her not to bother loading it all onto the truck (grandads), they could deliver the same day for free

They came, and forgot the wine cooler, and dented the fridge. They blamed her for the dent on the fridge (as she had signed and said all was well, and grandad opened and installed it himself), and said they had definitely taken the wine cooler out for delivery.

After much arguing, she got them to replace the cooler, she took it home with her. They wouldn't do anything about the fridge. She plugged the cooler in, and it didn't work! They blamed her for breaking it on the way home, and said she should have taken advantage of their delivery services! Pfffft

Archived