Bela Lugosi at the Lyceum in August 1951

Bela Lugosi certainly played at the Lyceum and changes are that a number of the theatre’s advertising bills are still available for you to look at. But while I know my memory is not what it was, might there be any chance that he made two visits? I remember a Star photgrapher catching him along with his equally scary Frankenstein film star Boris Karloff, certainly between the years 1945-46

when they stayed at the Grand Hotel

hiya my mates fathers name was robert bradley, he lived on egerton street, broomhall districl sheffield. he always said when he realised who it was he was having shivers down his back, not often that your alone in a lift with a real vampire is it ,ha ha. and yes i think it is. it is the one at the top of the old station approach, it might be of no use to you but i was surprised the old victoria station was closed down, it was i thought the best of the two, i remember to get to the platforms you went through a tunnel under all the lines i remember the last time i used it it was for a fishing trip in the 50s down the witham.

That's great. Thanks for the extra info.

Bela Lugosi certainly played at the Lyceum and changes are that a number of the theatre’s advertising bills are still available for you to look at. But while I know my memory is not what it was, might there be any chance that he made two visits? I remember a Star photgrapher catching him along with his equally scary Frankenstein film star Boris Karloff, certainly between the years 1945-46

when they stayed at the Grand Hotel

That's interesting. If Karloff and Lugosi were in Sheffield at any time other than 1951, it would have to have been in either 1935 or 1939. Bela only ever visited England three times: 1935 to film Mystery of the Mary Celeste, 1939 to film Dark Eyes of London and 1951 for the Dracula tour and to film Mother Riley Meets the Vampire.

Do you know where a copy of the photo might be found?

hiya my mates fathers name was robert bradley, he lived on egerton street, broomhall districl sheffield. he always said when he realised who it was, he was having shivers down his back, not often that your alone in a lift with a real vampire is it ,ha ha. and yes i think it is. it is the one at the top of the old station approach, it might be of no use to you but i was surprised the old victoria station was closed down, it was i thought the best of the two, i remember to get to the platforms you went through a tunnel under all the lines i remember the last time i used it it was for a fishing trip in the 50s down the river witham.[/

That's interesting. If Karloff and Lugosi were in Sheffield at any time other than 1951, it would have to have been in either 1935 or 1939. Bela only ever visited England three times: 1935 to film Mystery of the Mary Celeste, 1939 to film Dark Eyes of London and 1951 for the Dracula tour and to film Mother Riley Meets the Vampire.

Do you know where a copy of the photo might be found?

I've just read over on the Sheffield History forum that Karloff stayed at the Empire Hotel in Sheffield, but no date was included.

Archived