The Earth is getting fatter.

Very interesting link, thanks for that.

I understand the Earth gains about a million tons a year of extra mass in the form of meteoroids colliding with it. It's hard to comprehend the concept of a million tons of extra material a year being such a triflingly small amount that it makes no noticeable difference whatsoever.

Very interesting link, thanks for that.

I understand the Earth gains about a million tons a year of extra mass in the form of meteoroids colliding with it. It's hard to comprehend the concept of a million tons of extra material a year being such a triflingly small amount that it makes no noticeable difference whatsoever.

A million tons!

That's impressive, and yet presumably it must be insignificant when compared to the actual Mass of the Earth.

We wouldn't want to have a significant affect on its orbital path... I for one don't want to collide with the sun :(

They found that melting glaciers Greenland and Antarctica were indeed the biggest contributors to the Earth's growing spare tire

If it's a good enough excuse for the Earth, it's a good excuse for my midriff expanding. Damn those glaciers!

Archived