Blagging Sky to get a (small) discount

We're moving house in a week or two and, well, I'd quite like to get a bit knocked off my Sky bill (they get £60+ per month).

I'm going to ring them and say we've been offered a comparable package from someone else (which we sort of have, but I'd rather stay with Sky tbh) and as we were moving anyway now seems an ideal time to move providers. Worst case scenario they say 'ok bye!' and we join as new customers at the new house, same package as we're on for a couple of pounds less (:rolleyes:). And we'd get another HD box.

The long and short is, what should I expect? I just want them to give me a discount, not cut their own throats, in fact what I want is to add line rental without increasing my costs. Will they be happy to give me a tenner off a month for a while to keep my £60? Will telling them I disapprove of Murdock help? :)

Anyone done this and can offer me advice?

If you've been with them a while then they're likely to offer one of your services free for a few months, which is worth having.

I've been with them for almost 15 years so when I called them up to drop down my options because of my OH losing his job they charged me for the lower package but gave me the extra bits free for 6 months, saving me £8 a month on a £30 bill.

We're moving house in a week or two and, well, I'd quite like to get a bit knocked off my Sky bill (they get £60+ per month).

I'm going to ring them and say we've been offered a comparable package from someone else (which we sort of have, but I'd rather stay with Sky tbh) and as we were moving anyway now seems an ideal time to move providers. Worst case scenario they say 'ok bye!' and we join as new customers at the new house, same package as we're on for a couple of pounds less (:rolleyes:). And we'd get another HD box.

The long and short is, what should I expect? I just want them to give me a discount, not cut their own throats, in fact what I want is to add line rental without increasing my costs. Will they be happy to give me a tenner off a month for a while to keep my £60? Will telling them I disapprove of Murdock help? :)

It probably won't be best to advertise what you're going to do over the Internet though :D It would probably be classed as deception

Whatever you negotiate tell them you want to keep the existing contract rather than a re-negotiated one.

£60 a month? For that I'd want to be in front of the TV 24/7

Get the ultimate discount and cancel altogether. Find something else to do instead of vegetating in front of 500 TV channels.

At £60 a month net of tax your Sky subscription costs you £1000 gross a year. Bonkers!

just ring and talk about cancelling ,theywill try to knock a few pounds off usually works

Agree, they'll also be aware of all the other competitors packages available most likely.

I'd cry skint, redundancy or the ex keeps coming around with a wheelbarrow every week for alimony..

It probably won't be best to advertise what you're going to do over the Internet though :D It would probably be classed as deception

How is it deception? If they tell me to get lost I will, I won't be telling a single lie, but there are still ways and means :)

It completely depends on the offers they have on - when I was there a Tuesday was the best day to call as that was the last day of cancellations 'week' so they were always pushing for targets. Likewise, at the end of each quarter (so March, June, September and December) they were always keen to increase or maintain the number of HD subscribers, number of premium subscribers etc.

The first offer they're likely to give you is either half price or free installation when moving home (and this usually won't include a phone line). You would definitely be better coming in as a new customer.

Virgin are running some incredible offers at the moment, we took out a package for £35/month the other day which included phone line rental, 30mb broadband, xl TV, v+ box and second STB - Sky couldn't even come close to price matching.

Archived