Having won £10million on the lottery..what do you do next??

Would stay in UK with houses in Cornwall, the Scottish Isles, Edinburgh, that London etc.

If I found out I'd won at work I'd up and walk out instantly saying either 'see you in the real world' or 'drop dead' to people on the way to the door. I'd employ a PA/butler on an excellent wage and thereafter the world would deal with me through them.

To stay occupied I'd open a fancy recording studio and sink money into perfecting vegan Yorkshire pudding.

Not going to happen though, unless via Premium Bonds.

1. You don't have a choice here, they tell everyone who won

2. n/a - but I'd never come back to the UK

No, they don't. They say this:

We will contact you for prizes over £50,000 to arrange to process your prize claim in person. Whatever you win, The National Lottery will only reveal your identity as a winner if you give written consent or if we have to by law.

from https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/help/faqs.ftl#int_Other4

I would have one of those California style glass fronted houses built, beach front on the Med.

I would also look out for an old cottage in one of my favorite Peak Park villages.

I would buy my son and his partner a house in Grindleford, as it's their favorite part of Derbyshire. I would also set up a trust fund that would secure them, and any family that they produced.

I would buy a top of the range camper van to get the wife and I and two dogs from the cottage to the villa, stopping off in really nice places. I would have a soft top car in the garage at the villa and a decent estate car over here, I'm not into £100,000 cars, I can't see the sense.

I would like to do something for charity that didn't entail folk creaming off the top. For example following a Tsunami I would like to go over and supervise the building of houses, and the distribution of fishing boats etc;

No, they don't. They say this:

We will contact you for prizes over £50,000 to arrange to process your prize claim in person. Whatever you win, The National Lottery will only reveal your identity as a winner if you give written consent or if we have to by law.

from https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/help/faqs.ftl#int_Other4

that's in the UK

I would like to do something for charity that didn't entail folk creaming off the top. For example following a Tsunami I would like to go over and supervise the building of houses, and the distribution of fishing boats etc;

There are so many charities that I'd want to contribute large sums to but without some sort of controlling influence I'd be worried that they'd use it to hire a new chief executive, or refurbish their surrey headquarters. I suppose the answer would to pick and choose specific cases; the local child who needs hospital treatment in the US, a specific village that needs an irrigation programme, the purchase of land for a specific hospice/retreat/reserve etc

I bet you'd end up spending most of your time overseeing where the money was spent, but at least it would keep you busy.

Archived