Animal cruelty in abattoirs

Things have gone rapidly downhill since farmer and pro-hunting MP Jim Paice has become animal welfare minister. Up until this point I understand that DEFRA were pursuing prosecutions in other cases where Animal Aid had obtained footage via trespass, but following the change of govt the cases were dropped on the basis of legal advice stating that footage obtained by trespass wouldn't secure prosecution. Possibly a coincidence but given the other changes that have been to the detriment of animal welfare that Paice has overseen, I'm not sure.

I don't want to derail this thread by talking about pre-stunning, but this article is interesting;

http://newhumanist.org.uk/2382/there-will-be-blood

It sounds incredible but the Tory minister Jim Paice who has recently been appointed as animal welfare minister is in favour of fox hunting!

Not only that he has scrapped a great deal of animal protection.

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_wildlife//2492//

Fox-hunting? Now that is cruel and unwarranted for any normal purpose.

But it's not relevant to this thread, is it.

The link I am trying to make is the so called minister of animal welfare Jim Paice:

The footage obtained showed animals being kicked, beaten, goaded, improperly stunned and decapitated while still alive and – under the previous government – Defra brought charges against nine workers and four slaughterhouse operators. But with a change of government and Jim Paice’s appointment, new ‘legal advice’ suddenly suggested that the prosecutions would not be successful and all charges were dropped.

See more here: http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_wildlife//2492//

The link I am trying to make is the so called minister of animal welfare Jim Paice:

The footage obtained showed animals being kicked, beaten, goaded, improperly stunned and decapitated while still alive and – under the previous government – Defra brought charges against nine workers and four slaughterhouse operators. But with a change of government and Jim Paice’s appointment, new ‘legal advice’ suddenly suggested that the prosecutions would not be successful and all charges were dropped.

See more here: http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_wildlife//2492//

Jim Paice is actually a working livestock farmer, which possibly also explains his stated preference for reducing farm inspections and reducing the number of vets at animal markets, in addition to his department's decision not to pursue prosecution in these slaughterhouse abuse cases. Quite an alarming choice as animal welfare minister

I do not understand this, cameras that are hidden gather evidence all the time???

Not cameras that were put in place by trespassing property - the Panorama/Castle Beck hospital case, for example, was secretly filmed, but by a person who the company had employed to work there, so there was no trespass taking place.

Having said that, under the previous administration DEFRA were pursuing prosecution using Animal Aid's hidden camera evidence, its only since Jim Paice MP has become animal welfare minister that the cases have been dropped on fresh legal advice, so who knows?

Not cameras that were put in place by trespassing property - the Panorama/Castle Beck hospital case, for example, was secretly filmed, but by a person who the company had employed to work there, so there was no trespass taking place.

Having said that, under the previous administration DEFRA were pursuing prosecution using Animal Aid's hidden camera evidence, its only since Jim Paice MP has become animal welfare minister that the cases have been dropped on fresh legal advice, so who knows?

MP's probably have one eye on this tactic being used on them. Are they attempting to try the civil courts?

Archived