My Unusual Track Bike!

Around 1958 as a 15 yr old tup I was into track bikes,having no cash to speak of I had to make my own.Like I,ve threaded before the parts,frame,wheels,tyres,wheels ect. were all purchased for a few bob from the rag and bone scrapyard behind the Hillfoot WMC.Some parts large cogs and odds and sods I bought from a cycle repair shop behind Stones Brewery,Mr Beldam his name,he was in his 70s,a big help to any cyclist.I was lucky with the construction,my old man had a large workshop at our cottage with two vices and stacks of tools.This particular bike was a one off,when it was all put together complete with cowhorn handlebars I had a brainwave,I would make it carry a passenger,I shaped a long two seater saddle out of wood,padded it with foam,covered it with vynyl.Then I made two metal supports drilled and bolted to the rear wheel spindle,it had feet supports with rubbers.I put two dynamos and two headlights on and gave it a paint job with Chinese lacqer,it was something to behold!My pals on Parkwood Springs were gobsmacked!,one night on the waterside Club Mill Lane the police pulled me as I was giving my mate Whitey a ride on my invention,the copper was that confused by it he said as far as he could see it was legal and let meoff!:cool::roll:

... a cycle repair shop behind Stones Brewery,Mr Beldam his name,he was in his 70s,a big help to any cyclist....
Yep - Frederick Beldam, 135 Harvest Lane (ex 1942 directory). He would have been 75 in 1958. Got to hand it to you, old tup - you know your stuff!

Around 1958 as a 15 yr old tup I was into track bikes,having no cash to speak of I had to make my own.Like I,ve threaded before the parts,frame,wheels,tyres,wheels ect. were all purchased for a few bob from the rag and bone scrapyard behind the Hillfoot WMC.Some parts large cogs and odds and sods I bought from a cycle repair shop behind Stones Brewery,Mr Beldam his name,he was in his 70s,a big help to any cyclist.I was lucky with the construction,my old man had a large workshop at our cottage with two vices and stacks of tools.This particular bike was a one off,when it was all put together complete with cowhorn handlebars I had a brainwave,I would make it carry a passenger,I shaped a long two seater saddle out of wood,padded it with foam,covered it with vynyl.Then I made two metal supports drilled and bolted to the rear wheel spindle,it had feet supports with rubbers.I put two dynamos and two headlights on and gave it a paint job with Chinese lacqer,it was something to behold!My pals on Parkwood Springs were gobsmacked!,one night on the waterside Club Mill Lane the police pulled me as I was giving my mate Whitey a ride on my invention,the copper was that confused by it he said as far as he could see it was legal and let meoff!:cool::roll:

I used to make my bikes from bits that I found and free.Maybe thats why the handlebars snapped at the stem with the only brake on it when comming out of Buck woods at the bottom end !!!!!

Archived