Anyone remember nixons pawn shops??

Hi OwlsChick - I don't remember the shops but old Kelly's directories show "Thomas D. Nixon & Sons, pawnbrokers" at 220-224 Gibraltar Street (closed before 1925), 26 Wicker and 87 Carlisle Road. The picturesheffield.com site gives this photo of Gibraltar Street that includes the shop (the 3-storey building in the centre - click on "Zoom image" to enlarge) while the Wicker branch is at the right hand side of this view.

The 1911 census shows Thomas Draper Nixon, a pawnbroker then aged 33, living at 227 Western Bank with his wife Jane, two children and a maid. His father Tom Nixon had also been a "pawnbroker, clothier and jeweller" who lived over the Gibraltar Street shop in the 1880s. Thomas's grandfather, also Thomas, kept the Bull & Mouth pub in Waingate at the time of the 1871 census. Thomas Nixon Jnr. died in 1956, aged 78.

Hi OwlsChick - I don't remember the shops but old Kelly's directories show "Thomas D. Nixon & Sons, pawnbrokers" at 220-224 Gibraltar Street (closed before 1925), 26 Wicker and 87 Carlisle Road. The picturesheffield.com site gives this photo of Gibraltar Street that includes the shop (the 3-storey building in the centre - click on "Zoom image" to enlarge) while the Wicker branch is at the right hand side of this view.

The 1911 census shows Thomas Draper Nixon, a pawnbroker then aged 33, living at 227 Western Bank with his wife Jane, two children and a maid. His father Tom Nixon had also been a "pawnbroker, clothier and jeweller" who lived over the Gibraltar Street shop in the 1880s. Thomas's grandfather, also Thomas, kept the Bull & Mouth pub in Waingate at the time of the 1871 census. Thomas Nixon Jnr. died in 1956, aged 78.

Thanks Hillsbro.The Nixons are distant relatives of mine whom i new nothing apart from they had a couple of pawn shops,so thanks for the information :)

• 8 months later...

Archived