Ladies - contraception advice please?

Hi, I was just wanting to get some advice and opinions on use of the diaphragm as birth control?

Has anyone used it? And would you recommend it?

I really don't want to use hormonal methods or interfere with my cycle, and this seems like the best option.

Any advice/help would be most appreciated, thanks.

I'd suggest a trip to Mulberry Street clinic, where the nurses and doctors are involved in family planning full time and can advise you far better than a GP, for whom family planning is a small part of their day.

The figures on the diaphragm are broadly similar to other forms of contraception as long as it is used correctly (and it takes training to do that) and it is used with adequate amounts of spermicidal jelly in a correct manner.

However, something to bear in mind. I'm allergic to both latex and to nonoxynol-9, which is the spermicidal ingredient used in all sorts of contraceptive devices, so that is how I ended up with an IUD instead.

I've been to the Mulberry St clinic before, I think another trip is required soon. I have considered the IUD before, but my ex didn't like the idea of it. Tried the implant but it didn't agree with me either, trying to avoid hormonal contraception altogether now.

I've been to the Mulberry St clinic before, I think another trip is required soon. I have considered the IUD before, but my ex didn't like the idea of it. Tried the implant but it didn't agree with me either, trying to avoid hormonal contraception altogether now.

Hi Isabelle, I have sent you a PM :)

Hi, I was just wanting to get some advice and opinions on use of the diaphragm as birth control?

Has anyone used it? And would you recommend it?

I really don't want to use hormonal methods or interfere with my cycle, and this seems like the best option.

Any advice/help would be most appreciated, thanks.

Condoms - original, and still the best :) If you use a diaphragm you should use condoms anyways as back up:) The cap doesn't protect against STIs (when did they stop being called STDs, and why??)

IUD is traditionally hard to insert into a woman who hasn't previously given birth... Your ex doesn't get a say now though???

Archived