What do you do if you knock over a cat

Probably best not to leave it at the side of the road, for kids to see, poke with sticks etc.

Surely you could take it to a VET and they could check for a microchip, and store the body for so long before burning it.

You are not obliged to inform anybody for running over a cat - even if you can find out who the owner was.

You might consider leaving details with a nearby shop that has a bulletin board, but in the absence of any information on the collar, there's very little constructive that you can do. Leaving it at the side of the road is probably providing its owner with the best chance of finding it - the question is does the owner finding his cat dead at the side of the road provide more trauma, or less trauma, than losing it?

I'd be inclined to leave it at the side of the road in the hope that someone recognises it and tells the owner. Nothing worse than pining for it for several days in the belief that "it will come home soon when it gets hungry" I would have thought.:(

I stopped reading when this thread went all haywire, so forgive me if this has been said

If you care enough, you could take it to a vet to be scanned for a chip so the owners could be informed. If you don't, you could contact street force to clear away the body, though they have no obligation to scan for chips, so the owner may never know (they don't have an obligation to do this with dogs either, although if a dog is run over on a motorway then Highways have a legal obligation to :loopy: )

You could put a card in a local shop window, or post details on here in the hope that a neighbour will inform the owner if the owner isn't a member

I still don't understand why we blame dog owners if a dog is run over, but cat owners think it's okay to subject their animals to this kind of danger (there are parts of America where it's considered cruel to allow a cat to roam)

they don't have an obligation to do this with dogs either, although if a dog is run over on a motorway then Highways have a legal obligation to :loopy:

That is a little bemusing.

I stopped reading when this thread went all haywire, so forgive me if this has been said

If you care enough, you could take it to a vet to be scanned for a chip so the owners could be informed. If you don't, you could contact street force to clear away the body, though they have no obligation to scan for chips, so the owner may never know (they don't have an obligation to do this with dogs either, although if a dog is run over on a motorway then Highways have a legal obligation to :loopy: )

You could put a card in a local shop window, or post details on here in the hope that a neighbour will inform the owner if the owner isn't a member

I still don't understand why we blame dog owners if a dog is run over, but cat owners think it's okay to subject their animals to this kind of danger (there are parts of America where it's considered cruel to allow a cat to roam)

I mentioned having it checked for a chip in the first reply ;)

I'm quite shocked, the council don't routinely check for a chip in dead cats and dogs, especially when you consider how common they are.

Regards to letting cats roam, it probably ain't wise if the local buildings exceed 3 floors and there is a higher levels of traffic. Dogs should always be kept on leads near roads, and also in some parks.

That is a little bemusing.
it was after heavy campaigning by a woman who was involved in a shunt which caused her rott to escape, then be run over some days later

she had a virtually impossible job discovering the outcome, which included taking some suspected remains to a lab in America to be analysed to identify if indeed it was her dog. At least she knew she could stop looking for him when it was confirmed it was him

Archived