Beware this phone/credit card scam.

I was called yesterday evening at about 8-00pm by a foreign sounding man.

He told me that he had taken £49 out of my Visa account to stop me getting nuisance phone calls. He hung up when I became aggressive. I dialled 192 and there was a 13 digit phone number there.

I have not dialled the number as it may be a premium line which charges me heavily for phoning it. Does anyone know the point of this scam? I checked my cards and no money has gone missing. Should I alert anyone about this?

I still have the number if anyone wants it. It begins with091124

This is only a guess, but 09.... numbers are indeed premium rate. It might be simply be in the hope that some people try to call back and get charged £1 a minute in the process. (So you were right not to do so!)

I thought that this may be the case. Should I contact anyone and let them know?

Thanks for that. It says "Telco global networks Ltd", but that means nothing to me.:confused:

they will be the telecom company who you caller used.

you could try hunting them down, though a better bet would be to report this to the regulator

they will be the telecom company who you caller used.

you could try hunting them down, though a better bet would be to report this to the regulator

I have been on the ofsted site , since your last post, but did not get anywhere. There was a box to ask a question, I filled out the box saying what had happened and sent ask question. The screen then changed onto something different. It did say Ofsted on the page.

I have been on the ofsted site , since your last post, but did not get anywhere. There was a box to ask a question, I filled out the box saying what had happened and sent ask question. The screen then changed onto something different. It did say Ofsted on the page.

you want offcom not offstead, they are two different off's

Archived