Report to the Police, or not?

Thanks to everyone for impartial advice! I have reported it and the cops will be asking me for a statement.

I'm no coward, but no fool either- retaliating to extreme provocation can only go down a slippery path of a record, job loss or even jail?

You do have the right to defend yourself you also have the right to detain (arrest) the miscreant you can use reasonable force to that end.

Why was this man acting like this? Is this pure bullying or have there been serious arguments in the past?

We're distantly related and fell out years ago and have said things about one another to other family members, he bigging himself up to his wife (who hates my guts), me because I wasn't going to be insulted and abused.

I am not, however, into fighting in the street, being browbeaten by 'gang' threats of being broken legs or acting like some street urchin with childish insults and postures.

No, you don't - citizens arrests are only available in VERY limited circumstances - you essentially have to catch someone red handed doing a crime. Threatening to do a crime is not something you can arrest someone for unless you are a policeman.

I think that you will find that threatening to fill someone in is a crime in itself !

When one is threatened with being filled in one is by definition witnessing a crime, ergo they have caught the offender red handed committing a crime.(using your legal terminology 'doing a crime' !, never seen that one in my copy of Archbold)

We're distantly related and fell out years ago and have said things about one another to other family members, he bigging himself up to his wife (who hates my guts), me because I wasn't going to be insulted and abused.

I am not, however, into fighting in the street, being browbeaten by 'gang' threats of being broken legs or acting like some street urchin with childish insults and postures.

You do right. Guess most of us have people we don't like for whatever reason. But no need for that kind of behaviour at all.

Hope things cool down from now on.

See my edit - the problem is that all they have to say is "that never happened" and considering he has his family there who I am sure will back him up, the OP would then be arrested for false imprisonment/kidnap.

The majority of offenders nicked by the plod claim innocence, some of them actually are, that does not of itself make their initial arrest unlawful.

The court will consider the evidence laid before it. Witness testimony, credibility of witnesses, the reasonableness of the actions of the party making the arrest etc.

I am hardly likely to walk down the high street jump on some innocent soul at random, wrestle him to the ground, shove my daughters mobile phone into his pocket, smack my daughter in the nose, wipe her blood on my unfortunate (second victim !!!) and then summon the police for a laugh ?

You do right. Guess most of us have people we don't like for whatever reason. But no need for that kind of behaviour at all.

Hope things cool down from now on.

Thanks, the cops visited and listened to the story again, and advised that it was best to log it, but as the cctv was facing in the other direction (typical- they checked) it could be one word against another?

I said that contact was (thankfully) rare, and would see what happens in future, and that I would defend myself against the a-hole and...'gang'?:loopy:.

Archived