Which martial art for 'older' beginners?

Hi

you will not do better than this i am talking first hand experience with these people you will be shown every thing you wish to learn try it free you wont regret it

http://www.castlebba.co.uk/30322/info.php?p=5

This would be the worst possible choice, it had a terrible reputation.

Why not try as many as you can over a few weeks and see what you enjoy the most.

Edited by Cyclone

i studied shukokai and shotokan karate 4 12 years i taught a lot of people in theire 40s,50s and 60s.i would try this there is a dojo at hilsborough leisure center and ponds forge under sensei barry nash.give it a try.

This would be the worst possible choice, it had a terrible reputation.

Why not try as many as you can over a few weeks and see what you enjoy the most.

Hi

i dont understand all this bad publicity about BBA it was around ten years or more since i stopped going and i personally thought it was great i didn't hear any bad words about it then. when i was there they changed the way you paid where you had a direct debit to pay them it was £40 a month that didn't go down well with some people but the training that you got then was far better than any other that the punters new and they had been around a bit, i myself had seen about six other dojos and quit honestly at the side of BBA they were not very good to say the least.

Hi

i dont understand all this bad publicity about BBA it was around ten years or more since i stopped going and i personally thought it was great i didn't hear any bad words about it then. when i was there they changed the way you paid where you had a direct debit to pay them it was £40 a month that didn't go down well with some people but the training that you got then was far better than any other that the punters new and they had been around a bit, i myself had seen about six other dojos and quit honestly at the side of BBA they were not very good to say the least.

I'd heard bad things about it back in 2000, which is when I came back from uni and continued doing jiu jitsu in Sheffield.

They pressure sell, push long term contracts that aren't in the best interests of the students and don't teach very well (I base this last on having two of their blue belts turn up at a session of mine, I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but they couldn't throw, fall, punch, block, roll, lock or fight on the ground, which left me wondering what they could do).

Hi cyclone

you was there when i was there then as i remember a blue belt is not that high next to red? but they should have that.

was there two of you from uni doing it i seem to remember two people from uni grading at the first opportunity they could the all of a sudden stopped going

i studied shukokai and shotokan karate 4 12 years i taught a lot of people in theire 40s,50s and 60s.i would try this there is a dojo at hilsborough leisure center and ponds forge under sensei barry nash.give it a try.

Given the standard of the blackbelts I've seen training in that class, I wouldn't bother.

This is going to be an unusual suggestion, but I believe this particular martial art is good for older beginners and of course energetic young people.

How about Brazilian Jujitsu? its all groundwork based and is about one of the safest martial arts out there (in my opinion). You don't get the impact injurys from being kicked, punched or thrown, plus you get a real sweat when doing the rolling.

This is a bit of self publicity, but in September I will be running 'groundfighting/groundwork' classes in Chapeltown.

Although not affilated to any particular style, you can train wearing a Gi (martial arts suit) or no gi (ie, shorts and t-shirt). The session will run through techniques that are used in Martial Arts such as Judo, Brazilian Jujitsu and Jujitsu (armlocks, chokes, holddowns etc...), we will do lots of fitness related to this type of training plus class members can have a go at making the techniques to work against an opponent.

It will be a friendly atmosphere and a very safe form of training.

here is the link

http://www.sheffieldfitness.com/page6.htm

Edited by Shef_Fitness

2nd that....

Considering the OP asks about martial arts for 'older beginners', I agree. The reason being that there are no fancy high kicks that require a high degree of suppleness in Wing Chun, nor does stength play a part. Also, there are no techniques that take years to perfect before they can be used effectively. Let's face it, 'older' people (like me :mad:) haven't got lots of years to learn or to achieve a high level of physical conditioning.

Given the standard of the blackbelts I've seen training in that class, I wouldn't bother.

I can remember Barry Nash giving me a beating when I was 21, im nearly 40 now. He was demonstrating a destraction technique with a leading left followed by a right hand. Just some thing simple. A lad turned up late and join up with us to make a threesum. Good old me was volunteered as the crash test dumby. Barry stepped it whith his left hand distraction to my face. Rather than stand there like a crash test dumby, he cam in and some speed, my natural reaction was to step to the left and raise my left gaurd. Barry walked straight into my fist, glasses first and cut the side of his nose. He wasn't a happy man. I tried to apologise, but he'd lost his temper and stormed off.

A few mins later he came back and closed the class with a sparing session. Wasn't I lucky, he wanted to spar with me :suspect: He cam in full pelt and punched me 3 times in the side of the head turning my eye and the side of my face blue. and said to me, "you think your Bruce Lee wanting to Judo and Karate at the same time"

I called the police who wanted to place both of us under arrest. The acting manager of Hillsborough Leisure Centre was a complete waste of space.

I hope Barry has mellowed in his later youth?