Which martial art for 'older' beginners?

I would definitely recommend Sheffield Shotokan Karate Club. I started there as a beginner at 41 and my husband at 43. Great friendly club with fantastic instructors, all of whom have had dbs checks, are trained in first aid and hold nationally recognised coaching awards. They have classes every Thursdays at Wadsley Church, Worrall Road, Sheffield at 730pm til 9pm and also on Mondays at Westways Primary School, Western Avenue, Crookes, Sheffield 7pm til 830pm. Check out their website on

http://www.karatesheffield.org.uk

Hi,

I'd like to recommend Excel Martial Arts, at Holbrook Industrial Estate. It is run by Liam Richards- international martial artist of the year 2013 and Britains Got Talent finalist as team Strike.

We do beginners classes for adults and children almost every day of the week.

We use modern fun training methods to teach you traditional martial arts. We teach MMA, so you get training on Karate, Kick Boxing, Thai, Krav maga, Brazillian Ju jujitsu, self defence.

We offer 2 free trial sessions so you can see for yourself how we conduct our classes and how much fun you will have.

Payment options we discuss with you as there are different options available.

Loads of succes stories.

Call me (Pete) on 07723914948 for times and a chat if you're interested.

Many thanks.

http://www.excel-in-life.com

• 2 weeks later...

do any of these martial arts actually teach you how to fight?

i remember going to karate when i was 13 and it was basically aload of **** - doing katas constantly.pointless really. Unless you actually do some sparring I really cant see the point? fitness aspect aside.