Do supermarkets have to give till receipts by law?

I've been going into a supermarket in S11 regularly for years, never been given a till receipt yet (well, only once when I asked for one to see if they knew what they were) :hihi:

I thought it was a requirement under consumer law that they issue till receipts with all purchases? :confused:

I've been going into a supermarket in S11 regularly for years, never been given a till receipt yet (well, only once when I asked for one to see if they knew what they were) :hihi:

I thought it was a requirement under consumer law that they issue till receipts with all purchases? :confused:

Is a till receipt just the normal itemised receipt or something different?

I've always had a receipt from any supermarket as it's to provide proof of purchase in case anything needs to be taken back. It's also useful for the supermarket in their battle against shoplifters.

Which supermarket is this?

Is a till receipt just the normal itemised receipt or something different?

I've always had a receipt from any supermarket as it's to provide proof of purchase in case anything needs to be taken back. It's also useful for the supermarket in their battle against shoplifters.

Which supermarket is this?

Just the normal itemised receipt you're given at the checkout after you've payed, they never give it.

It's the Spar at Hunters Bar Roundabout.

Not a requirement, no, but if they are charging VAT they do have to issue a VAT receipt.

John X

Not a requirement, no, but if they are charging VAT they do have to issue a VAT receipt.

John X

A quick Google search re VAT on groceries suggests VAT is variable on groceries, some are 'VAT-able' some are not.

It's a busy 24 hour supermarket if we're talking about turnover though (Regarding the VAT)

Many supermarkets now don't give till receipts unless you ask for one; it saves on paper.

I'm amazed!

How do they catch shoplifters?

There can be no such thing as a shoplifter if a supermarket is not prepared to give a record of the sales transaction to the customer ... any customer detained for not having a receipt could sue (and would almost certainly win the suit) for wrongful arrest if it was 'company policy' not to issue a sales receipt.

A quick Google search re VAT on groceries suggests VAT is variable on groceries, some are 'VAT-able' some are not.

It's a busy 24 hour supermarket if we're talking about turnover though (Regarding the VAT)

And? A Supermarket receipt is not a VAT receipt. - But if you want a VAT receipt, you are entitled to receive one. - Not entitled to ask for one (you can ask for anything!) - entitled to receive one.

Wouldn't be the Co-Op would it? I noticed my local Co-Op have stopped handing out receipts and, in fact, looked really disinterested and showed no intention of handing one over. I had to ask for one and they weren't impressed by the request because the bill was in the region of £2.50 more than it should have been. On more than one occasion they have marked up prices an the EPOS by more than they list on the shelf, which is relatively easy to spot when you only buy a few items but is much more difficult to spot if you're purchasing more goods.

Archived