Do supermarkets have to give till receipts by law?

I would always prefer a receipt. If i were in a supermarket i would insist on one.

My problem is i look rough and ready. No matter what store i go in to i always find myself being followed by security. For this reason i would much prefer the receipt rather than risk any embarrassment.

There can be no such thing as a shoplifter if a supermarket is not prepared to give a record of the sales transaction to the customer ... any customer detained for not having a receipt could sue (and would almost certainly win the suit) for wrongful arrest if it was 'company policy' not to issue a sales receipt.

Don't be so dramatic. Simple scenario. Person on CCTV picks something up and walks out without paying. Till receipt is irrelevant, you've just video'd them shop lifting.

They could sue for whatever they like, but they wouldn't get anywhere with it.

Don't be so dramatic. Simple scenario. Person on CCTV picks something up and walks out without paying. Till receipt is irrelevant, you've just video'd them shop lifting.

They could sue for whatever they like, but they wouldn't get anywhere with it.

heh i was gonna say that, theres ways of catching shoplifters, and a till reciept is bottom of the list :P

They don't have to give you a receipt but its always best to ask for one.

I always ask for one at the Spa shop near where I live as I've been overcharged several times and without proof its hard to complain.

IIRC A VAT receipt is different as it also has to show the registered VAT address and not just the local store address.

Never heard of such a thing as not gettting a receipt in a supermarket, it's automatic, my receipts are always over a foot long no matter what i buy, it shows your savings, whats discounted, whats going to be on sale, & coupons for next time, the teller can't wait to get rid of it when it comes out of the till, if you save them you can sometimes put them towards gas or free Turkeys at the hoildays, also if you check them and find a mistake you get that item free , not found a mistake yet :roll:

Am i right in saying that vouchers and money off stuff is much more prevalent over there poppins - I always thought it was from TV and the like.

Not sure how it is there auto, I just thought it was the same all over when it comes to Supermarket shopping, some women over here make it a full time job clipping out coupons and swop them with each other on line, but theres always hundreds of items on sale in the food store, I'm not one for looking for sale items, except when it's meat as i don't buy that much food.

I buy the same food items all the time, I could grocery shop blind and coome out with the same things...boring :roll:

Archived