The Noose and Gibbet

I can't remember the shops but my father lived where KFCs car park now is.

He didn't live there long. His father moved there when dad was doing National Service (and didn't tell him) and dad was married soon after.

Remember going there in the late sixties.

• 4 years later...
I used to drink in there too in my youth when it was the Railway. The proprietors were John and Brenda Horsefield who then took over the Fox in Beighton. Barry Goodison then became the landlord and I moved away in 1980. I recall the landlord's son telling me about a ghost he had seen in there. I've been in since and it is totally different. I used to go in the Enfield too and the Friendship, also called the 'Top Common'. My parents were born in Attercliffe, hence the connection. Does anyone remember Fred Poole the coalman who used to drink in there?

I am one of the daughters of John and Brenda and was born when they had the Railway. It holds loads of memories for our family. It is so nice to read all this thread.

I am one of the daughters of John and Brenda and was born when they had the Railway. It holds loads of memories for our family. It is so nice to read all this thread.

Tina, I have loads of memories of you, your parents and brothers and sisters.

This pub used to have another name, but I can't remember what. I was wondering does anyone know exactly wy they called the pub this name? I have been told that many years ago someone with the surname Broughton was one of the last people to be hanged from Sheffield. If you look outside the pub there is a model of someone been hanged. Can anyone verify this story? Is the pub named after this guy?

The original name for the pub the Railway Arms

Tinasheff

I remember Fred Poole delivering coal to our house on Melville Road, There was a Rita Poole who was in the same year as me at school.

I used to know Fred. He was a mate of my Dad's. His wife was called Blanche and they kept chickens and a pony or two. They used to hang around with Minnie and Reubin down at the 'Railway' or 'Top Common'.

• 4 months later...

i went on ghost hunt sort of thing on friday 21st October at The Noose and Gibbert courtesy of DI Paranormal!!! What can i say lol what a complete waste of time and p*ss take. I was a 50/50 believer but now i am swaying towards more of a disbeliever. I have never seen so much crap in my live but apparantly that was because i didn;t believe, so the spirits told them!!

Tinasheff

I remember Fred Poole delivering coal to our house on Melville Road, There was a Rita Poole who was in the same year as me at school.

I used to live on Melville Road, with my mum and dad, Ian and Sue.

Have you seen Burton's Butchers re-created in Weston Park Museum?

It sure takes ya back!!