Help setting my bike up

What seems to have taken months i have finally taken reciept of my new mtb only to find every so often my large feet clip the seat stays. I use clipless spd (m520) pedals, and have adjusted the cleats to toe in but this does not feel natural.

THE Q FACTOR IS THE DISTANCE FROM THE OUTER SIDE OF THE CRANK TO THE INSIDE OF THE PEDAL FOR WHAT I CAN FIND OUT,( I THINK )

So this leaves me with 3 options

1 - adjusting the Q factor of the pedal if this is a option,

2 - using washers to pack the pedal out

3 - buying some spd pedals that do allow some Q factor adjustment

so if any cyclists know of any pedals with a larger spindle lengths or have had this problem before, help would be nice .

You'd be better off looking at changing the chainset to one with a wider tread (the Q-Factor is another name for the tread - it's the distance from outer face of l/h crank to outer face of r/h crank). Cheaper alternative = changing the bottom bracket to one with a wider spindle to move the cranks further outboard (though care should be taken not to screw up the chain line too much or move the big ring too far out for the reach of the front mech)

Using washers isn't a good idea especially if you like to grind a big gear now and again - the thread needs to be all the way into the crank

I assume you have checked that you can't move the cleats further inboard on the shoes? (moving cleats in = move feet out)

Archived