"101" Don't make me larf.

They probably could take the abuse, but maybe the question is why should they. It's not their job to take abuse from people who don't like the judgements that they make.

Try working in a local authority one stop shop for a few days! I worked as an advisor in one some years ago, and my colleagues and I knew that although abuse wasn't part of our job description it was a daily occurrence. Some customers seemed to see abusing us as their right. Unsurprisingly they tended to be people who thought housing was free (because no one in their family paid rent) and described their benefits as 'wages'.

I've been spat at, yelled at, sworn at and threatened with an HIV infected needle amongst other things. But I've also been thanked, and had the satisfaction of knowing that because of something I did people got the help they needed and were entitled to.

Try working in a local authority one stop shop for a few days! I worked as an advisor in one some years ago, and my colleagues and I knew that although abuse wasn't part of our job description it was a daily occurrence. Some customers seemed to see abusing us as their right. Unsurprisingly they tended to be people who thought housing was free (because no one in their family paid rent) and described their benefits as 'wages'.

I've been spat at, yelled at, sworn at and threatened with an HIV infected needle amongst other things. But I've also been thanked, and had the satisfaction of knowing that because of something I did people got the help they needed and were entitled to.

I hope you called the police to deal with these threats to show people they can not get away with such behaviour.

Ref. the 101 system I believe the police should deal with problems that are causing distress as offences of, Behaviour liable to cause a breach of the peace. The police have the authority to arrest those who fail to comply with instructions and stop the disturbance at the first instance.

I hope you called the police to deal with these threats to show people they can not get away with such behaviour.

Ref. the 101 system I believe the police should deal with problems that are causing distress as offences of, Behaviour liable to cause a breach of the peace. The police have the authority to arrest those who fail to comply with instructions and stop the disturbance at the first instance.

We had our own security, and we were trained in how to deal with conflict. We only needed to involve the police on a couple of occasions when actual damage was caused.

Unfortunately some people were genuinely vulnerable and couldn't handle even having to deal with what they saw as officialdom, so a lot of patience and understanding was needed. The most offensive were rarely the most needy, but the ones with an attitude of entitlement and/or a general dislike of 'the council'.

101 is a service jointly run by SYP and SCC. Sanctuary Housing also have their own anti-social behaviour helpline: http://www.sanctuary-group.co.uk/Housing/North/Pages/ASBHelpline.aspx Might be worth having a word with them if you have problems with any of their tenants in future.

Have tried talking to Sanctuary in the past re- nuisance neighbours but to little or no effect and lots and lots of "diary sheets".

Also this was a Saturday and not even on the street that I live.

It's like I put in my OP, whilst ever people know they can get away with it they are going to do so.

Ms Macbeth, I am sorry that you had to put up with the abuse you did whilst at your job. I too had to put up with abuse when I worked for the Probation service many years ago, when they didn't have all these rules and reg's and sometimes it was ruddy scary. But I went into the job with my eyes wide open and knew what to expect and was trained in how to deal with certain situations, but it mostly comes down to common sense.

What would it have taken for her to speak to me in a professional manner and explain things, instead of looking down her nose at me and being a cocky cow? I wasn't reacting to what she said as much as to the way she said it. Do they not train these people?

For all those who are eager to give the advice when there is noise going on that is disrupting peoples lives, with the "Ring 101" Don't. They are a complete waste of time and tax payers money.

I won't go into detail but myself and a couple of other neighbours rang them when they came on duty at 7pm yesterday, after having to listen to the boom-boom of someones music, from a street away since lunchtime.

All very nice on the phone and they arrived at mine about 9.30 ( no annon with these guys as the whole street has to see it's you who rang) to have a listen to how loud it is in my house, even though when they pulled up it was blaringly obvious that it was way too loud to be anywhere near exceptable.

To cut a long story short I was told that if it was at an okay level with all my windows shut (middle of summer here) and with my tv on (I'm usually a reader) then it was ok.

Why do they bother? Just what is their function?

They did ring me back later to say that they had also had a complaint from someone who lives next door to the "party goers" and that because it was noisier there (well hello) that they had told them to turn it down, they did, around midnight.

People will continue to ignore the bounds of decency whilst ever they know they can get away with it, which in this country they obviously can.

Direct non violent action, do it.

Archived