It's a wonder we didn't get Cholera!

I was reminising with one of my twin sisters the other day about the places we used to play as ,kids in the 50s,she reminded me of when we used to play in the River Don,building dams,paddling and swimming.We used to go in after the weir below the stone bridge at the back of Bassets,now washed away in the last floods,the river split in two around a small island in the middle.One side flowing fast the other quite gentle,here we dammed it making a large pond,we built a den on the island.I had a large lorry innertube inflated on which we had hours of fun.The one thing we never thought about was the pollution,back then the river was running with allsorts of chemicals dumped by different firms by its banks,all fish life was extinct due to this.We were always messing in the river,its a wonder we never caught anything, cholera or something similar, we must have good constitutions or were very lucky.Happy days almost forgotten!:huh::huh::hihi::

I was reminising with one of my twin sisters the other day about the places we used to play as ,kids in the 50s,she reminded me of when we used to play in the River Don,building dams,paddling and swimming.We used to go in after the weir below the stone bridge at the back of Bassets,now washed away in the last floods,the river split in two around a small island in the middle.One side flowing fast the other quite gentle,here we dammed it making a large pond,we built a den on the island.I had a large lorry innertube inflated on which we had hours of fun.The one thing we never thought about was the pollution,back then the river was running with allsorts of chemicals dumped by different firms by its banks,all fish life was extinct due to this.We were always messing in the river,its a wonder we never caught anything, cholera or something similar, we must have good constitutions or were very lucky.Happy days almost forgotten!:huh::huh::hihi::

Germs wunt live on us:hihi: can remember the overspill pipe with the iron door on it.

• 1 month later...

Archived