Bring Back Dog Licensing

It would be a criminal offence the Police would implement it.

At a cost of millions per year?

You wouldn't stop everyone, just ones spotted doing stuff like letting their dogs foul the place, or not keeping their dogs on a lead or not controlling them properly. No licence, £500 automatic fine. No licence, no treatment at the vet. Vets compelled to report unlicenced dogs. Public encouraged to report bad owners etc... etc...

It would actually be a good thing.

You would have no option but to stop everyone. Without resorting to equipping every dog with a number plate, there would be no way of telling if the owner had a license or not. That means every owner on the street needs checking continuously.

While not a bad thing (IMO), i do think it would cost far too much and simply would not work.

Without resorting to equipping every dog with a number plate, there would be no way of telling if the owner had a license or not.

We could always brand a tax disk onto them :D

Feel sorry for those animals that would get taxed 6 monthly though. :|

Lets not call it a 'Dog Licence' ... how about 'Dog Sh*t Tax'?

£100 is neither here nor there, £250 for all dogs unless they are working animals.

£500 for a horse poop tax and compulsory third party insurance for any using a public highway

I'm sorry, but the experience of the Dangerous Dogs Act shows that reintroducing a dog licence would be a pointless thing.

There are a number of dog breeds and types which are simply not allowed in this country and the law has been in force plenty long enough that there should be none of these dogs left, but has that worked? Of course not!

Those who are responsible owners had complied with registration, muzzling and neutering requirements, but thousands of people didn't and as a consequence there are just as many banned dogs in this country as there ever were, except now nobody at all is prepared to take responsibility for them if they're picked up somewhere.

Until a way is found to make the irresponsible owners comply with the law as well as those who make a point of doing the right thing then it's just another layer of stuff that people will ignore and which will cost responsible owners and solve nothing.

I'm all for compulsory insurance, microchipping and the like- I already do that, along with neutering, for all my animals and I've also got a sample of DNA stored for my dog in case I ever do need to prove that she's mine (since microchips are not taken as proof of ownership in this country), but until someone finds a way of enforcing a licence on those who would shirk it if possible then I'm not in favour of a dog licence.

No cost at all, we already pay for the Police.

At a cost of millions per year?

You would have no option but to stop everyone. Without resorting to equipping every dog with a number plate, there would be no way of telling if the owner had a license or not. That means every owner on the street needs checking continuously.

While not a bad thing (IMO), i do think it would cost far too much and simply would not work.

You are clearly a conscientous dog owner. As such you would not object to paying a license fee of less than the cost of a pint of beer per week. If the public were forced to pay a license they would insist that others were forced to comply.

I'm sorry, but the experience of the Dangerous Dogs Act shows that reintroducing a dog licence would be a pointless thing.

There are a number of dog breeds and types which are simply not allowed in this country and the law has been in force plenty long enough that there should be none of these dogs left, but has that worked? Of course not!

Those who are responsible owners had complied with registration, muzzling and neutering requirements, but thousands of people didn't and as a consequence there are just as many banned dogs in this country as there ever were, except now nobody at all is prepared to take responsibility for them if they're picked up somewhere.

Until a way is found to make the irresponsible owners comply with the law as well as those who make a point of doing the right thing then it's just another layer of stuff that people will ignore and which will cost responsible owners and solve nothing.

I'm all for compulsory insurance, microchipping and the like- I already do that, along with neutering, for all my animals and I've also got a sample of DNA stored for my dog in case I ever do need to prove that she's mine (since microchips are not taken as proof of ownership in this country), but until someone finds a way of enforcing a licence on those who would shirk it if possible then I'm not in favour of a dog licence.

Would be a waste of time - again this would be another case where decent responsible folk would pay - and the shell suit wearing, dope smoking idle wasters wouldn't bother.

This is the way i see it too...The cost of chasing those who dont pay would outweigh the revenue to police such a scheme...

find an island, move them and their dogs to it, and let them spend their lives together looking hard and swaggering around.

Nice idea, may be a logistical problem, tho the Isle of Sheppy in Kent would be a possibility...

Archived