My Pet Hate- tailgating!

These drivers are NOT rare, I come across them all the time; 25-30 in a 40 zone, even when there's hardly any other traffic. Pig ignorant. Either can't read road signs or are just quite happy to hold up other road users who actually have somewhere to be. I see it all too often; lines of unnecessary traffic created by one selfish idiot.

I do think they are rare. Unfortunately I got my yearly quota all in one go a couple of days ago. I followed a car (smallish, micra or clio, I can't remember) along Wostenholm Rd (from Sharrow Lane), Montgomery Rd, Moncrieffe Rd and Sheldon Road, before undertaking him as he waited to turn onto Abbeydale Road. I doubt that he exceeded 15 mph for the whole route. My speedo read below 15 on the times I checked. At first I thought he was looking for a house as he seemed to be looking left all the time. But he didn't stop. He just pottered along. Although I am a fairly laid back driver, I must admit it took a conscious effort to remain relaxed, as it seemed ridiculously slow for the conditions, which were good.

Conversely, also during this last week, I was tailgated for the full length of Penistone Road (travelling North at about 6:00 am) by a double decker bus - my rear window full of headlights. I was travelling no slower than 30, on an empty road - he would have had no problem overtaking if he had wanted to, we probably only saw a couple of other vehicles over the whole journey. Yet he chose to sit on my rear bumper.

Archived