• size 9
    • size 10
    • size 11
    • size 12
    • size 13 or bigger

'Average' can be:

a. mean [arithmetic];

b. mid-range (= halfway between biggest and smallest);

c. median (= middle observed figure, if all men's shoe-size figures are ranked in order); or

d. mode (= most frequent size); I think that you're seeking the mode.

'Average' can be:

a. mean [arithmetic];

b. mid-range (= halfway between biggest and smallest);

c. median (= middle observed figure, if all men's shoe-size figures are ranked in order); or

d. mode (= most frequent size); I think that you're seeking the mode.

The poll would give him the mode, most obviously; it wouldn't be hard to find the median or the mean.

Most people, when they seek an unspecified "average" of something, mean the mean.

It may not mean much though since clothes and shoe sizes are changed by the makers of clothes and shoes over the years. According to my gran anyway!So you can't really say mens feet are getting bigger or smaller compared with a 100 years ago. And men in Sheffield might be unusual. In fact I think they are.

It may not mean much though since clothes and shoe sizes are changed by the makers of clothes and shoes over the years. According to my gran anyway!So you can't really say mens feet are getting bigger or smaller compared with a 100 years ago.

You pretty much can, as shoe size is pretty closely related to height and the average height has shot up during the last century.

Whether foot size relative to height has gone up I'm not sure.

It may not mean much though since clothes and shoe sizes are changed by the makers of clothes and shoes over the years. According to my gran anyway

This is true of women's dress sizes, where there has never been an official standard; a size 12 dress is the size that the maker decides it will be.

Shoe sizes should not have changed, since they're measured in barleycorns (3 barleycorns = 1 inch) and that has not changed.

Archived