• size 6
    • size 7
    • size 8
    • size 9
    • size 10
    • size 11
    • size 12
    • size 13 or bigger

tbh I couldnt give a toss about mens feet (they smell) but its a bit of a worry if a uni student doesnt understand the difference between a hypothesis and a proof! bad science

I understand perfectly well thank you very much. Notice how I concluded 'therefore foot size has almost certainly increased as well', and I gave good reasons to support that conclusion.

I'm not doing science here, I'm just making an argument on an internet forum. I haven't made a proof, and no-where have I claimed to, it is you who is misusing those words. You cannot prove a hypothesis anyway, only disprove one.

Also, don't worry about my studies, I'm doing great, I only dropped one mark on my last big assignment.

Middle leg! Is your name Jake by any chance?

diddle diddle diddle dum.

Weird that isn't it that the most common size is 11, yet stores hardly have shoes in that size.

TJ Hugues was good for lack of decent sizes in their items... hmmmm....

WTF?!?!?!? Size 11 the most common? Why the heck is it so hard for me to find decent shoes in that size? All the decent stuff seems to be smaller than size 10.

hiya, i take an 11 shoe but the other week i saw an advert for a size 10 policemans shoe which i bought but they pinched me ha ha

I understand perfectly well thank you very much. Notice how I concluded 'therefore foot size has almost certainly increased as well', and I gave good reasons to support that conclusion.

I'm not doing science here, I'm just making an argument on an internet forum. I haven't made a proof, and no-where have I claimed to, it is you who is misusing those words. You cannot prove a hypothesis anyway, only disprove one.

Also, don't worry about my studies, I'm doing great, I only dropped one mark on my last big assignment.

Believe me, I am not worried about your studies, thats your job...they are about number 987 on my list of Very Slightly Important Things to think about :rolleyes:

However...at the risk of being pedantic, no, you didn't actually give good reasons to support your conclusion since you havent yet supplied any proof that shoe sizes/feet sizes are linked to height. You just said 'everyone knows they are'. Thats what I meant by bad science.

However...at the risk of being pedantic, no, you didn't actually give good reasons to support your conclusion since you havent yet supplied any proof that shoe sizes/feet sizes are linked to height. You just said 'everyone knows they are'. Thats what I meant by bad science.
Firstly, like I said already, this isn't science, it's an inconsequential argument on a local forum.

Secondly, even if this were a scientific discussion then you are misusing the word proof. You cannot prove a scientific theory, only disprove one. All you can do is provide evidence.

Thirdly, I did provide evidence, in the form of a link to an amateur study, perhaps you just missed it. In any case an extra couple of minutes on google has brought up these two proper scientific studies so that should settle it for you. Here's a quote:

"The correlation coefficients between stature and foot dimensions were found to be positive and statistically highly significant. The highest correlation coefficient between stature and foot length in males and foot breadth in females indicates that the foot length provides the highest reliability and accuracy in estimating stature of an unknown male and foot breadth in a female."

So, like I said, average heights have increased significantly in the last century, foot size is fairly strongly related to height, so foot size has almost certainly increased as well.

Indeed, it is known in ladies clothing as 'vanity sizing'. The theory is if someone has to buy clothes in a size 16, they won't buy them, so they call it a 12, to make them feel slim. You notice it a lot when it comes to buying wedding dresses, which have never changed in size, and a size 14 wedding dress has about the same measurements as a size 10 dress bought on the high street.

Ah!!!! This would account why Vanessa Feltz has been telling the media she is now a size 14....when she is, in fact, the size of a small house :hihi:

• 1 month later...
Ah!!!! This would account why Vanessa Feltz has been telling the media she is now a size 14....when she is, in fact, the size of a small house :hihi:

Hey, leave our Vanessa alone. I love her radio shows. Besides the best way to fit into a dress, is to buy a size lower, then sit back and dream. That will encourage you to eat less and fit into your clothes. Simple really.

Archived