If i run over a cat are the owners liable for any damage?

Im guessing that cat owners will be exempt from any form of responsibility, just as with the turds that they leave everywhere of which dog owners could not get away with.

I think you could try get a private prosecution if you could prove the irresponsibility but a lot would go on the owner making some sort of admission because they could just say the cat had just escaped.

Just think to yourself that although your unhappy with the damage to the car, its nothing to how the owner is going to feel.

My mate hit one recently and it took some of the paint off the front bumper of his lowered civic, he wasn't too bothered to be honest as he's planning on having it resprayed in a few weeks.

Just wondering about the legal aspects of this.

Tough luck unfortunately. I don't think third party insurance or public liability insurance would cover damage that a cat caused.

It's an interesting point though - in some parts of the US it is considered cruelty to let a domestic cat roam free. It dramatically shortens their life expectancy.

Tough luck unfortunately. I don't think third party insurance or public liability insurance would cover damage that a cat caused.

It's an interesting point though - in some parts of the US it is considered cruelty to let a domestic cat roam free. It dramatically shortens their life expectancy.

thank you for the first sensible reply. :thumbsup:

I thought as much to be honest, though it does seem a tad strange.

Archived