If i run over a cat are the owners liable for any damage?

Cats can cause immense damage, not just from being hit, many years back a neighbour of mine started his car up, unbeknown to him a cat was laying under the car, leaving out the grisly details the cat ended up in the engine. The cat owner was quite abusive in regards to her cat being killed believing every car owner should check under the bonnet before starting a car up? It cost the neighbour hundreds in repairs & clean up, though he claimed on his insurance, & the insurance paid up, the insurance company did approach the cat owner for the cost of the repairs, whether she paid up or not I don’t know, this was about 15 years back.
Very nice story, and its made me think now because a few times I have noticed cats going under my car possibly for a warm. Daft as it sounds it may be worth at least giving the horn a honk before starting the engine up just in case ?

Having a cat snap the timing belt on the car would be no fun for the car owner as well as the cat.

Archived