If i run over a cat are the owners liable for any damage?

You don't think it is. You are asking whether it's acceptable to do exactly that. You don't appear to have any consistency in your position.

A cat shouldn't be on the pavement, nor should my vehicle, it's a totally different scenario from a child walking home and being hit at 117mph by a drunk driver, isn't it. :huh:

No its this one :confused: it means confused is that ok with you ?

We are digressing but I imagine that if your 'confused' you must at some stage got it and lost it, where as 'Huh' would show that it went straight over your head completely.

Most of them don't. But then, most people mentioning cats are not asking whether or not they can claim money from a cat's owner in exchange for having driven over it.
Your assumption balances a lot on the notion that everyone treats cats in such high regard as yourself, where as some people actually take great pride in what is probably the second most expensive item your likley to own other than your home.

Why does it seem alien to you that someone who has no emotional commitment to the feline animal should give thought for their personal investment ?

Im not saying its right in any sense to kill cats, just as the OP was not, but given it ever happen why should the damage and reparations be of no concern ?

Your assumption balances a lot on the notion that everyone treats cats in such high regard as yourself

It isn't an assumption, and I don't treat them in high regard. It is a logical equivalence.

Running over and killing something, and then expecting compensation from its owners, is exactly the same as running over and killing something, and then expecting compensation from its owner. The clue is in the fact that every single word is exactly the same. It's logically impossible for the two things to be different.

Which is exactly the same thing. Running over and killing, and then asking to claim compensation from the owner of the deceased.

What species the deceased might be makes no difference to the question.

Your just being provocative.

Your suggesting that there is some sort of intent in the OP towards the killing of the cat. Cats are Owned by someone hence asking if they would be liable for the damage. The last I knew children being human beings were not owned.

Why on earth not? Cats are, almost universally, outdoor creatures.

Outdoor creatures with no road sense, but i guess if your willing to take the risk of a dumb pet being exposed to the big bad world, as a "responsible" owner........

Archived