Pensions report

max i know what you mean but my point is when you retire and have nothing the government have to give you a minimum amount to live on! equivalent to benefits so lets say its £1000 a month that means on top of my pension the government would top it up by £400 a month, if i never work then they would still pay me £1000 a month so working my ass off isnt going to make me any better off, i live on the east coast, its a retirement village, in 20 years time it wont be, cus no one will be able to afford to. so lets say theres 25 million people working, that means on my basis the government will have to support around 18 million people in old age, that means that youngsters today will have massive tax bills, where will it end.!!

They are planning on moving to a universal state pension and doing away with the means tested top-ups. So people who save for their retirement will get the benefit of it. Telegraph article.

I have just remembered this, I don't have a link but more info shouldn't be that difficult to find. American pensioners with savings and assets are finding things hard, so they are leaving the states for Panama. Property is dirt cheap, they need something like £6,000 p/a income to be granted the right to stay, food is cheap, the climate is pleasant, if I recall breakfast is one dollar, lunch is three dollars and dinner is five dollars, these are restaurant prices. There is no income tax, they retain their private health insurance and nip on a plane to Miami for treatment.

Archived