Old Picture Palaces We Visited!

old tup

I was lying in bed with my wife the other night,well she was lying to me and I was lying to her!when I brought up the old times way back in the 50s when kids about how many picture palaces we visited.Starting at the Hillsborough end the Hillsborough Park Cinema then Hillsborough Kinema-Proctor Place,I remember White Christmas cos that was when I had my first crush-Vera Ellen-legs to her neck!.Next the Unity the top of Wood St-East of Eden and Giant sticks in my mind,then my second home the Roscoe Shalesmore-the tanner rush Sat morning-Flash Gordon-Cisco Kid-The Lone Ranger -Tex Ritter ect.The Oxford Upperthorpe,the Don West Bar,the one on Ecclesall Rd across from Wards Brewery I,ve forgot the name I should remember it because I spewed myself inside out round the back after smoking a huge cigar,my first,and last!.I,m not done yet the Forum top of Herries Rd.I,ve just remembered a joke at school about the Roscoe,the balcony was only a few feet higher than the back row,some wit said a bloke had committed suicide in there so after asking how he said[He chucked his sen oft balcony!]a drop of about 6ft,pathetic or what?.:roll::hihi::D

I used to visit all the cinemas you've just mentioned. One you appear to have forgotten was The Phoenix, opposite the barracks. I think that the one on Ecclesall Road was called The Star. The nearest one's to where I lived were The Unity, The Oxford and The Roscoe. I remember as a young lad being heartbroken because we couldn't get in the Roscoe - "the tanner rush" - because it was full. I never did get to see that episode of Flash Gordon that we missed that day!!

When I came to Sheffield in '53 as a 12 yr old I thought I'd come to heaven, there were so many picture houses (40 odd I think). I especially remember The Coliseum/Don/Roscoe/Wicker but went to loads all over the city. I got molested by a perv in The Don! One outstanding memory was doing the rounds with Rock around The Clock jiving in the aisles at many and being ejected from most. I think The Roscoe was the last place I saw it, and that was one tatty cinema :gag:

After 58 years here I still think it's heaven:roll:

Kelvinlad do you remember the long rail outside the Phoenix-we used to say thats were the cowboys tied up their horses!.I,d forgotten the Phoenix in my rush to post.Wasn,t the one in the Wicker renamed Studio 7,I took our lass there to see [saturday Night And Sunday Morning]which made an impression on me,I tried to model myself on Albert Finney or was it the other way around,maybe, we were very much alike!

The old Phoenix cinema opposite the Hillsborough Barracks was a great place, Some said if you sat in the balcony you could watch the tide come in???

After the film had finished and the lights went up they used to play 'going home music', such as the rousing Radeskty March which used to clear the cinema in minutes.

Happy Days! PopT

When I came to Sheffield in '53 as a 12 yr old I thought I'd come to heaven, there were so many picture houses (40 odd I think). I especially remember The Coliseum/Don/Roscoe/Wicker but went to loads all over the city. I got molested by a perv in The Don! One outstanding memory was doing the rounds with Rock around The Clock jiving in the aisles at many and being ejected from most. I think The Roscoe was the last place I saw it, and that was one tatty cinema :gag:

After 58 years here I still think it's heaven:roll:

There used to be (before TV) a full page of tiny cinema listings in The Star.

You could always find a western, a musical, film noir gangsters, you name it, always something for everybody, and you could always walk to at least one or two.

Then it was half a page, then a quarter, and the last time I looked there was just a couple of cineplexes.

But, thanks to the internet, I have downloaded literally thousands of the old films, so I can enjoy Saturday Night at the Pictures, anytime I want.

Heaven.

Archived