"Keeping the kids entertained"

Today I took our two down to Grindleford, walked along the river, happily dodging the sheep poo and spent a a great time playing at Pirates and excavating the river of 'big' stones, followed by a picnic and then an hour in the playground.

If we don't do something like this on a regular basis in the summer holidays we tend to feel guilty, like the hols should be made the best of .....

And indeed why not? I have memories of long, hot summer days that were often boring (not too many children on our street, no brother or sister to play with - a bus or train ride to Blackpool with my Mum would be a highlight of the holiday, later on my Dad would pack us both off to a caravan out in North Yorkshire for a good four weeks (not many children there apart from the weekend, when he'd join us after happily (or not) after getting ****** at home, alone)

Even now, on hot, sunny days I sometimes get feelings of sadness and loneliness that come from that time...

I've always been a friend to our eldest (almost six) and to be honest he's wanted/needed that since very young, it's an honour and a pleasure to be his friend and I love the closeness we have (his younger brother is a little more independent, but that's just probably younger brothers)

After our Grindleford trip today, we called at Bardwells electronics on Abbeydale Rd and parked on a side street at the corner, as we walked to the shop he said 'Daddy, there's children playing on he street and on the road, they don't have Mummys or Daddies with them' (they're taught pretty strictly that roads (even side roads) aren't good for playing on due to the mount of road traffic)

Tomorrow it's going to rain - a playcentre visit maybe for us then, maybe a bit of TV or a DVD or a Video Game later in the afternoon.

Friday I'm working so it's over to Mrs D, Sat they'll help me with a bit of DIY (they love it - max attention span 25 minutes) ;)

That's just us, our family, and how we are, not answered the OP in particular, given me the opportunity to have a good ramble.

Now, well past time for bed - Playcentre in the morning ;)

I hate playcenters! Luckily mine are at the age where they aren't bothered about them really.

My Dad takes mine to Grindleford and they love it there!

Foxhouse is a good place too. Open space and rocks for them to climb on, bbqs allowed and a stream for them to play in.

Archived