Our Old Lads Radiogram !

old tup

Our old man used to visit some of his workmates at their homes on the rare occasion he came out of hibernation,the family joke was if he went passed the top of our road he,d get lost!.On one visit he dragged me along I was around 9yrs old at the time,he most likely took me so he could find his way back!.His pal lived at the bottom of Dykes Hall Rd,we were welcomed in and they soon got callin on about all sorts of boring stuff,we progressed into the parlour where he showed our old boy his new radiogram,i,ve forgotten the make but it was a beauty a real piece of furniture in a mahogany finish.The lid came down in slow motion like some modern toilet seats do nowadays,it had good sounding speakers and a good quality record player,our old man was smitten on the way home he never shut up about it!.Sure enough a couple of weeks later one was delivered to our cottage,it was set up in the living room the only snag the radio reception was iffy,he fixed this by running a long cable to the end of the garden and up to the top of a telegraph pole there.He was in his element he,d sit hours listening to long players like Mantovani,all the musicals of the time,we had it years until it went out of fashion,old memories I,d forgotten.:thumbsup::D

Our old man used to visit some of his workmates at their homes on the rare occasion he came out of hibernation,the family joke was if he went passed the top of our road he,d get lost!.On one visit he dragged me along I was around 9yrs old at the time,he most likely took me so he could find his way back!.His pal lived at the bottom of Dykes Hall Rd,we were welcomed in and they soon got callin on about all sorts of boring stuff,we progressed into the parlour where he showed our old boy his new radiogram,i,ve forgotten the make but it was a beauty a real piece of furniture in a mahogany finish.The lid came down in slow motion like some modern toilet seats do nowadays,it had good sounding speakers and a good quality record player,our old man was smitten on the way home he never shut up about it!.Sure enough a couple of weeks later one was delivered to our cottage,it was set up in the living room the only snag the radio reception was iffy,he fixed this by running a long cable to the end of the garden and up to the top of a telegraph pole there.He was in his element he,d sit hours listening to long players like Mantovani,all the musicals of the time,we had it years until it went out of fashion,old memories I,d forgotten.:thumbsup::D

We had one as well Tuppy, It was one of them with a dog looking into a big trumpet.

Anyway i decided that the turntable did not turn fast enough so decided to oil it.

I found this bottle with some greasy stuff in and decided to use that for the job in hand.

Job done! except the bloody thing stopped never to go again as i had oiled it with our Margeret,s setting lotion that she used to set her Twink with

Result no Gramaphone, no spendo, and a sore arse.

his new radiogram,i,ve forgotten the make but it was a beauty a real piece of furniture in a mahogany finish.The lid came down in slow motion like some modern toilet seats do nowadays,it had good sounding speakers and a good quality record player,our old man was smitten on the way home he never shut up about it!..:thumbsup::D

Lovely stuff

A couple of years ago I was after a Radiogram for the little Hi-Fi museum in my garage

I saw a nice one in a charity shop with a £15 price tag, just about in my range, so I went in and had a look

Imagine my delight when, on pulling down the front, I found that instead of a cassette player, it had an Eight Track!! :)

Four hours later it was set up in my garage and I was listening to the only eight track cartridge I had, a Drifters compilation.

I now have about twenty cartridges and am happy to the show radiogram off to anyone who doesn't get bored easily!

It was one of them with a dog looking into a big trumpet.

HMV (His Masters Voice), The trumpet is actually a gramophone, and the dog is called "Nipper"

Based on a painting called "His Master's Voice", as the dog is listening to a recording of his master coming through the speaker cone

Boring? Me?

Lovely stuff

A couple of years ago I was after a Radiogram for the little Hi-Fi museum in my garage

I saw a nice one in a charity shop with a £15 price tag, just about in my range, so I went in and had a look

Imagine my delight when, on pulling down the front, I found that instead of a cassette player, it had an Eight Track!! :)

Four hours later it was set up in my garage and I was listening to the only eight track cartridge I had, a Drifters compilation.

I now have about twenty cartridges and am happy to the show radiogram off to anyone who doesn't get bored easily!

Can't get better than a Drifters' compilation.

We had a Sobel (spelling) when I was a kid, and you could adjust the speed as required, but by sliding a thing along. I used to love Mario Lanza, in The Student Prince, doing Pinky and Perky :)

We had a Sobel radio which got broken on several occasions, ususally on a Sunday afternoon when my father was "worse for wear". My brother and myself put it back together (several times) but, we must have had the tuning dial upside down because trying to get Radio Luxembourg on a Sunday night for the top ten was back to front, the amount of popping/squealing/whistling that went off was hilarious.

Archived