Fight or flight: which are you?

I wonder if you perhaps feel unhappy that you allowed him in to your personal space?

Someone coming that close to you is as close to attacking you as you can get without them actually touching you.

I was watching a video clip the other day, and this chap was recommending for such situations, to make a LOT of noise, hold up your hands (preparation for defence I guess) and shout at top of your voice 'BACK OFF NOW'.

Here it is: http://lifehacker.com/self_defense/

Think it's the first video on the page, as you scroll down.

Things can escalate so quickly though, and it seems some people are only too quick to fly off the handle - seemingly unrestricted by fear of repercussions. It only takes some idiot to pull a knife, or a seemingly innocuous blow to the head, for a fight that started over something that could've been quite small initially, to turn into a manslaughter charge and a lengthy stretch inside.

Not worth it. That said, protecting yourself or loved ones is one instance where fighting back is necessary.

I wonder if you perhaps feel unhappy that you allowed him in to your personal space?

Someone coming that close to you is as close to attacking you as you can get without them actually touching you.

Yes I did/do, actually. But despite the personalised provocation, my brains were in my head and not my fists, thankfully.

The power of words can have a much longer lasting effect (not always), whether you empower their social group with jibes or just mentally degrade them you can deter them and calm them down generally.

After all, animals have no ego and will simply fight, cower or run?

I disagree... Many courtship rituals of many species are based around ego's, even leader of packs, etc...

I disagree... Many courtship rituals of many species are based around ego's, even leader of packs, etc...

Good point, yes, there's alot of display courtship and posturing, but i meant (badly phrased) that most animal species seem not to feel shame for escaping to fight another day?

The power of words can have a much longer lasting effect (not always), whether you empower their social group with jibes or just mentally degrade them you can deter them and calm them down generally.

Yes but it would be nice to think human animals had evolved to a stage where they could be a bit more subttle!

Good point, yes, there's alot of display courtship and posturing, but i meant (badly phrased) that most animal species seem not to feel shame for escaping to fight another day?

No, certain individuals as they grow up will challenge for authority and if beaten will be submissive, I have lion prides in mind but there are numerous other examples I could give you too!

Yes but it would be nice to think human animals had evolved to a stage where they could be a bit more subttle!

It'd be nice, but it'd also be nice not to be challenged by brainless thugs for no apparent reason whilst having a quiet night out with friends.

Archived