The Old St Giles School Killamarsh

Kashul

Hi All

My friend is trying to build a history of the old St Giles School in Killamarsh, I said I would come on here to see if anyone had any information, in particular photo's of the old school.

Does anyone know anyone that went there ?

Thanks in advance

Endowed school,i went there many years ago in the fifties,have just looked at the old pics of Killamarsh and seen lots of places we used to play as kids,i lived on the "white city" and it was surrounded by green fields.Like paradise after moving there from Sheffield city centre:D

Try having a look on this website for photos - http://www.dennishanna.com/Killamarsh.htm

Thanks for that hon, I have been away for a week so apologies for not replying sooner, (the same to anyone else thats replied in my abcense)

I have looked on that site and found one photo from the main road before the windiws and roof were replaced. I am looking for some of the inside of the school and maybe the real history behind it.

Thanks so much

• 4 weeks later...
One Teacher (1956) was Mr Thorpe, a nice guy lived in Cadman St Mosborough.

Headmaster was one Mr Haston, or Mr Harston, a six footer, slim with a tash. He had me over the desk by the neck. No human rights back in those days!

Can't remember his name but you are right about the size and his tash,i was there in 56 and he had me too over the desk,with my short leg trousers pulled up and he slapped me....hard ..with his hands on the top of my legs,they were red as a beetroot and dint it hurt,my mother went up next day to rollock him and he locked himself in his office,wouldn't come out till my mum had gone...he never touched me again,i would have been 7-8 years old at the time

Archived