Tracing Italian POW - Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather

My daughter and I are desperate to help find my fathers dad, I have copied below a message my father posted on an Italian Genealogy website. I am wanting to find some advice on where to start... please...

'I was born in Mar 1945, my mother is Marion Sheldon, sadly now deceased. From gathering family information my father was an Italian Soldier interned at a camp in Treeton, Nr Sheffield and Rotherham. Many years ago I obtained my birth certificate and under father the space only contained a single line, no name. I was legally adopted by my grandparents but the adoption court in Wakefield have been unable to locate the court records despite me trying to encourage a greater search. I have been told by my mothers two sisters many stories about other women who had been in relationships with the Italians from the camp and that they also had children. I traced one family where the Italian soldier had returned and married the girl and stayed in the UK, sadly he had passed away and the family did not have any information to pass on. My father was known as "johnny" English I understand for "Giovani?" It is now many years since this occurred, I am almost 67 but I have a daughter and granddaughter who want to know more and maybe get a name or trace some of my Italian siblings! Where and what can be done to obtain Italian POW Personnel Records or Camp Nominal Rolls from this period. Can you help, do you know of any other similar events, heard any stories, do you have a father or grandfather who was a POW in the UK. I would respect any family confidence and would not wish to stir or raise such an issue that would or maybe cause any embarrassment whatsoever'

Emma and Eden x

Hi Emma and Eden

Google the web site, Sheffield Indexers. There are some very knowledgable folks on there relating to Genealogy.

I am sure that someone will respond to your message. Might be an idea to reduce it in size and just keep with the essential information

Best of luck

Archived